Sinister: he walked away but his smile never did

Christine Irene competitionsmile at xxx.com
Thu May 1 15:54:32 BST 2003

hi everyone.  my my the list has been quiet of late.
where have dirty vicar and ken chu been?  perhaps dv
enlisted in the navy....hmm....

so it is a crap day here today.  grr.  i heard that
yesterdays storms accounted for more than half of the
total rainfall in the state for the month of april.
crazy.

this morning on the drive in, i was listening to THE
BENDS.  i haven't listened to it in awhile and forgot
how amazing it really is.  no matter how many times i
hear "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Street Spirit" they
never fail to leave me breathless.
i would think that, as a musician, it must be amazing
to effect people like that.  even when i was writing
songs and my (now former) friend was performing them
at coffee shoppes, it was an amazing feeling to have a
couple of people say that the song was nice, or meant
something to them.  i can't imagine giving millions of
people giving that sort of rush to you.

i have also been a bit masochistic....digression....at
the mall, they used to have this poster that said "THE
MASOCHISTS TEA POT" and it had the handle right under
the spout.  :O)  i always loved that :o)

anyway.  so i have also been listening to my dad's
favourite songs/albums lately.  things that i am not
what you would call "a fan" of, but things that i love
by default because they remind me of when i was young,
they remind me of him.  "Cats in the Cradle", assorted
neil diamond, the moody blues, 3 dog night....and,
funnily, chris deburgh.  no no, not "The Lady in
Red"....in the 70's (i think) he released this sort of
art album....very cool stuff.  when i was small, i
always loved what i call "The Spaceman Song"....it is
actually called "A Spaceman Came Travelling."
the lyrics are beatiful and the the music is
amazing....great production all around.

here are the lyrics...

A Spaceman Came Travelling
>From Spanish Train and Other Stories
by Chris de Burgh

Year Released: 1975

Playing Time: 5:10

A spaceman came travelling on his ship from afar,
'twas light years of time since his mission did start,
And over a village he halted his craft,
And it hung in the sky like a star, just like a
star...

He followed a light and came down to a shed,
Where a mother and a child were lying there on a bed,
A bright light of silver shone round his head,
And he had the face of an angle, and they were
afraid...

Then the stranger spoke, he said 'Do not fear,
I come from a planet a long way from here,
And I bring a message for mankind to hear',
And suddenly the sweetest music filled the air...

And it went la, la...
Peace and goodwill to all men, and love for the
child...

This lovely music went trembling through the ground,
And many were wakened on hearing that sound,
And travellers on the road, the village they found,
By the light of that ship in the sky, which shone all
round...

And just before dawn at the paling of the sky,
The stranger returned and said 'Now I must fly,
When two thousand years of your time has gone by,
This song will begin once again, to a baby's cry...'

And it went la la... This song will begin once again
    to a baby's cry...
And it goes la la... Peace and goodwill to all men
    and love for the child...
Oh the whole world is waiting, waiting to hear that
song again,
There are thousands standing on the edge of the world,
And a star is moving somewhere, the time is nearly
here,
This song will begin once again, to a baby's cry...

and on the same album....PATRICIA THE STRIPPER.  never
listened to this when i was young, but is hilarious
now!!!

Patricia The Stripper
>From Spanish Train and Other Stories
by Chris de Burgh

Year Released: 1975

Playing Time: 3:30

Dennis is a menace
With his "Anyone for tennis?"
And he'd beseech me to come keep the score.
And Maude said, "Oh Lord, I'm so terribly bored"
I really can't stand it anymore...

I'm going...out to dinner,
With a gorgeous singer,
To a little place I know,
Down by the key.

Her name is Patricia,
She calls herself Delicia
And the reason isn't
Very hard to see.

She said, God made her a sinner
Just to keep those fat men thinner
As they tumble down in heaps
Before her feet.

They hang around in groups
Like battle weary troops,
One can often see the
Queue right down the street.

Because Patricia
Or Delicia
Not only is a singer
She also removes all her clothing

For Patricia,
Is the best stripper in town...

And with a swing of her hips,
She started to strip
To tremendous applause
She took of her drawers

And with a lick of her lips
She undid all her clips,
Threw it all in the air
And everyone stared

And as the last piece of clothing
Fell to the floor,
The police were banging on the door
On a Saturday night,
In 1924

Take it away boys...

Well, Patricia was arrested
And everyone detested,
The terrible manner in which
she was exposed

Later on in court
where everyone thought
A summer's run in jail
would be proposed..

But the judge said, "Patricia,
Or may I say Delicia,
The facts of this case lie before me  (knock, knock,
knock)
Case dismissed... This girl was in her working
clothes...

And with a swing of her hips,
She started to strip
To tremendous applause
She took off her drawers

And with a lick of her lips
She undid all her clips,
Threw it all in the air
And everyone stared

And as the last piece of clothing
Fell to the floor,
The police were yelling out for more (more)
On a Saturday night
In 1924

if you go here:  http://www.cdeb.com/cdeb/alpha.html
you can hear audio.

it's funny how music can immediately take you back to
another time.  the travis song "Slide Show" is about
that very thing.  no matter where you are currently,
you can hear a song and relive another moment, like a
slide show flashing in your head with images of days
gone by.

anyway, this is ridiculously long.  sorry.  will shut
up now.

~stine