Sinister: It hurts my head MORE THAN A THOUSAND DOGS and other remembrance of things past

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Mon May 5 21:28:01 BST 2003

Like Sarah, I have to be careful with pixies lyrics myself. Sometimes I will
mutter songs under my breath and, really, the last thing I want to be heard
saying while at work is, "I was hoping to get her in the sack." However, I
suppose if I changed "her" to "you" it might be better for sales.

For whatever reason, I happen to associate the Pixies with Spring so I tend
to listen to them more around this time. In fact, this year I decided to
listen to a different album of theirs each week. It was ideal to be able to
be completely immersed in one album for days on end. I fell in love with
them all over again and rediscovered things I had never picked up before. A
couple of years ago I did a little poll asking different people what their
favorite Pixies album was. Boys usually answered with Doolittle or Trompe Le
Monde. Whereas girls usually liked Surfer Rosa the best. Only one person
liked my personal favorite the best as well. Poor Bossanova.

Today last year, Belle & Sebastian were playing their first show in New York
City which I was happy enough to see. Of course, I didn't see the second
show where they played "Slow Graffitti" or I would have had to die on the
spot from having all my dreams come true. It was absolutely the most
fantastic weekend of my entire life as I stayed in downtown Manhattan by my
lonesome while spending the evening aimlessly wandering the city by myself
with my days occupied by going to the Booksellers convention with sinister
Laurel who I completely adore. Of course, it was also around that time that
I decided that the world should never count on me to create peace or solve
hunger problems if I ever come across a lamp on which to make three wishes.
Though I might feel mild regret as I sit with perfect skin and health until
I am distracted my very own chocolate covered boy. I also told Laurel that
she shouldn't count on me to stay with her if I had happen to lay eyes on
Daniel Handler while at the show for I would have latched myself to his leg
quicker than you can yell, "Count Olaf!".

The cover b&s played that night was Staying Alive.  I remember that when
Stuart asked the crowd if he should play Staying Alive because it had such a
huge potential to be really bad, I found myself wanting more than anything
to hear the song. It's either a sign of devotion or a sign of a psychotropic
drug prescription just waiting to be written.

Either way, I was happy--
Laura