Sinister: Wanted - positive thoughts

Matthew Clift muzzlepipe at xxx.uk
Thu May 8 17:56:58 BST 2003

Hello all,

Well, seeing as Dean brought up the subject of
football earlier (and South Yorkshire football at
that!), I just thought I'd add to it and share my
upcoming fears and anxieties with you...

On Monday I spent the most nerve-wracking 3 hours of
my life - worse than any exam/interview/assesment I've
ever done.  I went to watch my team, Doncaster Rovers,
in the Conference play-off semi final at Chester.  It
finished 2-2, went to extra time and then a penalty
shoot out.  It was f*cking horrible... I just felt
sick with nerves all game, and I can honestly say I
didn't enjoy any of it until right at the end (when we
won!).

And now, I have to go through it all again on Saturday
when I go to Stoke to watch the play-off final!  This
time we play Dagenham & Redbridge and I know that once
again my nerves are going to be utterly shredded.

On the grand scheme of things, I suppose it's all a
bit trivial; you know, it's only a game and all
that... but it just doesn't feel like that when you're
there and desperately wanting your team to win.
Anyway, it made me think... there's a real masochistic
streak to football fans.  Despite the way I felt on
Monday, I know that nothing could keep me away from
Saturday's game... even though I know I'm going to
feel the same gut-wrenching anxiety for at least two
hours.  The prize at stake is a place in the Football
League, and everybody who supports the club just wants
it so badly after the way we originally lost our place
5 years ago (I won't go into it now, other than to say
that we were utterly shafted).

So anyway, fellow Sinisterines... if you could spare
some precious time on Saturday afternoon to send
positive thoughts in the general direction of Stoke,
you will have my most heartfelt eternal gratitude.
Please direct all telepathic projections of goodwill
to the Doncaster boys in red & white hoops, and I'll
love you all for ever and ever amen.

Huge thanks in advance...

Matthew.