Sinister: The Picnic Papers

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Sun May 11 17:30:29 BST 2003

Hi folks, fancy a biscuit?

I am having a little dilemma on the concert clothing front myself. Glasgow
is only the first stop on my mini tour of Britain, so I need to pack plenty
of clothes. The trouble is that essential packing space will be taken up by
pants and such things so sacrifices will have to be made. I particularly
want to wear my brand-new second-hand deerstalker hat, but it might mean
abandoning my emergency rations of Kendal Mint Cake, and one never knows
when that might come in useful.

+++

I think that if I were stranded on a desert island, the one thing I would
ask Sue Lawley to supply me with before I was set adrift would be a cassette
recorder. Then I could press down play and record, sing some songs onto it
with accompaniment from coconut hoofs, then play them back and never be
bored. I think with only the nauseous churning of the sea and the gibbering
of those fucking monkeys I would slowly go a bit mad.

In a similar way, I think that if i were condemmed to a world where there
was only music and no songs it would be half a world; a world with jelly but
no blancmange, with skateboards but no rollerskates. Someone asked me
recently what sort of music I like. I still find that question almost
impossible to answer. I could tell them I like indie music but it's such a
small label on such a wide, striped scarf of musical types most people
wouldn't get the right idea. And my tastes go beyond that label anyway. No,
what I like, I think, are songs not music. So "I like songs", I say. Songs
about love, death and public parks. A punch to the stomach, bruise on the
lips, crack in the heart. But even better, songs that tell stories; songs
that tell me something that I already vaguely knew but needed a B and a D
minor to make it clear.

Even if I woke up one morning on my island, fell out of my hammock and
discovered that my last square of Kendal Mint Cake had been stolen by a
fucking grinning monkey, a song would make me happy again.

+++

I bought a tweed jacket on the weekend, too, which suits my hat just dandy.
Obviously hugely impractical, though. It'll be a close-run thing between
that and my umbrella. Style versus stormproofing; it's a tough choice.

xxx

Robin

[ by express delivery : http://www.superatomic.co.uk/ ]