Sinister: Pour devenir immortel, et puis mourir

Rask raskolnikoff_01 at xxx.com
Mon May 12 10:16:42 BST 2003

It's at time like these that I really dig Belle and Sebastian. Like most
music fans I have ever diverging and re-immerging tastes. I must say I was
devastated when Isobel left the band, I thought she took all the good stuff
with her. Of late it has been towards anything from the new white stripes
record to acid mothers temple to godspeed to nick cave to the really
excellent last release from low honourable mentions: the loves, the chalets,
Calexico, yeahYeahYEAHs, flaming lips, jimmycake, rest . But when feeling
particularly shitty for reasons I wont go into I must admit there is much
comfort to be gleaned from a nice cup of tea with some "nice" biscuits at
the side and tigermilk in the background/foreground. There is something
about B&S that makes me feel a lot calmer. I also am enjoying diversions
such as stuarts diary, I wasn't too sure about all this band transparency
thing they have going on at the moment. I think its nice when bands are a
bit mysterious and thus underexposed.

But I particularly liked stuarts top 50 films esp since I share most of them
in my head-list. A bout de Souffle being my absolute favourite. The subject
line is taken from my favourite line where parvulesco is asked what his main
ambition in life is: for those of you who don't speak French and lack the
ability to cut and paste into babel fish it means "to become immortal, and
then die".

I went to see yo la tengo and (smog) a couple of weekends ago and they were
really really grate. With all this music and wonder in the world it's a
wonder a soul can be so down in the dumps really. The music is not all good
though, I bought the new set fire to flame album the other week, and it
really sucks.  It just sounds like the field recording out takes of the last
album. I really expected a bit more music for my 24 europes(euros). I'm sure
some smart arse will write back and say its grate and that you have to
listen to the notes they are not playing or something equally as
pretentious, but really they have great talent, too much to be clinking a
tin pot in the background for 9 minutes and calling it music. Actually maybe
somebody could enlighten me, has anyone enjoyed this album? Maybe I've just
become too mainstream or something.

A big shout out to the irish sinister posse, i dont know any of you, but
maybe i will meet you sometime.

richard