Sinister: death ghost ooh the disco

chris_t_opher chris_t_opher at xxx.com
Fri May 16 02:24:06 BST 2003

people:

how come stuart actually sounds scottish when hes singing 'pocketbook
angel' (listen to "books" and "looks") and yet he doesnt at all now? it
must have been a conscious decision. or are there lots of recent b&s
songs where you can tell hes scottish? almost similarly (but not
quite), the felt album 'me and a monkey on the moon' has a track called
'free'. the first few notes are pure unadulterated b&s. download it and
see.

i love how some (particularly american) politicians can look smug as
they talk about war and death. boring old blair always puts on his
sombre voice and straight face whenever he does it – his seriousness is
losing him popularity, i reckon. id love to live in a country where
some jolly chocolate-eating fat man is the leader and he always smiles
and chuckles as he informs his people of natural disasters etc. like
something from a bank holiday film but with a surreal twist.

manchester continues to burrow deep back into the heart of me. last
friday was a night of irish (non)dancing, the worst £5 buffet ever,
simian (the band) in a dark pub and then a stop-off at 'love on the
march', manchester's irregular b&s night. sorry to any mancunian
lurkers who were there, i think i took up more of the dance floor than
is allowed - i wore strange shoes. and no, ken, they werent extra-long
clown shoes.

i shall be one of the few (it seems) not participating in the weekend's
leisure activities in glasgow. instead, i shall be juggling revision
(thats "study for exams" for our american friends) for my forthcoming
four weeks of hell. random sentence im reading right now: "a negative
feedback loop makes for much more stable systems". well, duh! good luck
to everyone else surrounded by pro-plus, biscuits, vitamin pills and
piles of notes. cos you are either a student or living your life very
strangely indeed.

finally, if youre one of those people who goes to a quiet gig then
stands around near-shouting at your friends, please stop it. its not a
very nice thing to do. it happens a lot in manchester but i havent been
elsewhere enough to decide whether its worse here or not. speaking of
which, the hidden cameras *and* mogwai are both bypassing this place
(must be the water...) on their respective tours. if they werent so
goddam good, id consider boycotting both from now on.

any distraction will do,

c.

ps. for anyone not familiar with it, the aptly-named
dosomethingpretty.com is a great website. several sinisters and
sinister-relatives write for it so go have a look.