Sinister: bitchfork versus B&S

Kevin Hyde kmhyde at xxx.edu
Mon May 19 21:02:20 BST 2003

Hi Sinister,

Well, in reference to the subject line, I thought that the news story
Pitchfork (www.pitchforkmedia.com) posted the other week was just a tiny
bit antagonistic. Basically saying that Belle and Sebastian were
starting to lose it, which vaguely reminded me of Sick Boy's tirade
against Lou Reed et al. when he and Renton are in the park shooting the
BB gun. I'm sure the new album will be at least the equal of 'boy with
the marital aid', if not better.

Also, super-content-wise, I suddenly, on I-95 South (which road reminds
me constantly why I forewent obtaining my license until 21), while
listening to 'Like Dylan in the Movies' remembered something B&S related
that one of my best friends had told me years ago. His girlfriend had
broken up with him, for reasons she summarized as 'you make me feel
intellectually inferior', and it was kind of an acrid break-up, etc. My
friend, during the penultimate encounter he and his ex had before she
went off to England (!), answered the question "How do you feel about
all this?", with those lines from the song- "well you're worth the
trouble and you're worth the pain,...." which strikes me as being
horribly romantic and great. And then I thought about how my own parting
shots w/ex-girlfriends usually take the form of something like:
"No, *YOU'RE* a self-absorbed bastard."
And it seems like my friend's method is just a tad better.

There's been some recent and almost covert mention of cankles on the
list. I like the way random topics seem to spiral down through the
Sinister ranks, much like, um, a double helix of chocolate peanuts
through a half-gallon of Rocky Road ice cream. There you go, exactly
like that. Add another incomprehensible simile to my list.

Has anyone else heard of this David Amsden kid (he's 23) who is supposed
to be the voice of our generation? (those of us who are around, say, 19
- 25 or so) He's written a book called "Important things that Don't
Matter", which looks, on quick inspection, to be one of those
semi-autobiographical memoir-y things. What generation are we exactly-
is it still referred to as Generation Y? I think that's pretty much the
most disgusting thing ever, for no reason especially. It would be nice
if there were a more unique name though- why not call our generation
'Todd', or something sexy like 'Beautone'? As it is, we're just
derivative of Gen X'ers, which makes me feel slightly dirty and odd.

And plus, if anyone ever wants to know anything about libraries and what
will be their downfall or salvation, Mr. Kieran Devaney (to whom I owe a
good email) can very entertainingly enlighten you. I promise.

All right. Time to get back to work, which means: pants off.

Hope you're all well,

Kevin