Sinister: what I did at the weekend

Jennifer Knutsson jk151 at xxx.uk
Mon May 19 21:56:57 BST 2003

Hello

Hmm, I don't want to be responsible for reporting back but I thought I'd
give a little summary of my first big sinister meet-up/first ever b&s
gig in case there are lurkers who are too frightened to post/go to
meet-ups/be in the presence of "the band".

It all started off very well, we went to catch a bus to the train
station and it was a tiny old-fashioned one, the ticket machine was like
one of those sixties tills with metallic push buttons and no screen. The
driver even knew the other people who were taking the bus. The only
thing to shatter the illusion of actually having been transported back a
few decades was the two little boys playing with the ringtones on their
mum's mobile at the back of the bus. Their favourite seemed to be Merry
Christmas.

We caught the train, it was a bit busy but we spread out our reading
materials (private eye, smash hits and the independent if you are
interested) across our table so we had plenty of leg-room. We had
figured that the train journey up from York might be a little dull so we
had bought some cans of extra strong cider for the train. It tasted
surprisingly good and brought back many pleasant memories of underage
drinking and generally hanging about. So, not being the hardcore
drinkers we could be, by the time we got to Glasgow James and I were a
little tipsy.

Obviously the best thing for our host to do was take us straight to the
Bier Halle for some pizza and beer fun. James had budvar and I had this
lovely peach thingy which tasted a bit like archers but in beer form.
Mmmmm.

So eventually we got to my friend's house and we got ready for our big
night on the town. We went to the QM union for Cheesy Pop (it does
exactly what it says on the tin) and did some merry dancing with the
occasional 90p vodka +mix. I think you can see where this is going.

Around 1am we rolled into the woodside social (venue of sinister meet-up
#1) and you could say we were a little drunk. I was less nervous than I
might have been, having quite a bit of alcohol in my system, so when
James began introducing me to listees that he knew I got a bit
overexcited and I may have proclaimed a couple of random
non-sinisterines to be celebrities, much to their confusion. But I did
also get a to meet a few stars and wow them with my charm and wit. Or
maybe I said "ohmigod its carsmile steve!!" and then grinned, incapable
of starting a conversation.
Ditto Stefano, Ken Chu etc etc...

I don't know whether I will actually post this as I'm blushing even as I
type.

So once the shameful bit was over, I had a bit of a dance and managed to
fall over twice on the overly slipply floor by the bar *yes that was ME,
now you are all beginning to remember who I am*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning wasn't pretty. All that booze and excitement left me at
less than my pubnicking best, so our departure was delayed by about 3
hours. Eventually we set off for the park/The Tap, but due to a
diabolical sense of direction from our host (a glasgow resident of 2
years) and a less then perfect memory of his last visit from James, we
got there extremely late and were too ashamed to strike up conversations
with the others. So we had our tea and left.

But not to worry, we still had the gig to go to!! I've gone on for ages
so I won't give a big review of the gig *the last few people still
reading turn away from their computers in disgust* but needless to say,
B&S were fantastic... Seeing other people was a gem as was the new one
that Stevie sang involving us finger-clicking along. Plus Stuart's
silver trousers were a sight to behold. Also worth a mention was the
performance from Delgados, they played a lovely set with lots of stuff
from "Hate"... All very dramatic and affecting I thought.

Afterwards I gather that a lot of people went to the Art School for more
dancing and drinking but me and James were exhausted so we went home to
bed. Clearly I'm just not as hardcore as you lot... All I wanted was a
cup of tea!

The next day we got up late, listened to some Take That and then went
for our train... Four hours and 3 trains later we were home. In all, a
knackering weekend, but very exciting and fun. Definitely recommended to
people who like to hide in the woodwork, the sinister lot really are a
very nice bunch, although I'd recommend consuming slightly less alcohol
than I did in preparation for your first big meeting. Hello and my
apologies to everyone that I met/fell over near, also hi to Stine who I
know would have loved to have been there (you missed out on some
beautiful scottish accents... Yum)

Good night,

Love
Jinnifer
Xxx

PS - for those of you in Scotland who didn't make it to the gig it will
apparently be on scottish tv on Friday 23rd... Look out for those
trousers!