Sinister: laughing (austin) crying (show) jumping (texas) singing

m. paisley snyggtwee at xxx.com
Mon Nov 3 12:54:53 GMT 2003

Hello Sinister -

It was a good show.

It's a puzzle to me how a person can make music to express something about
themselves, or something they feel strongly about, and how another person
can listen to it and deeply appreciate something they feel is expressed by
the music...but what do the two have to talk about? It seems strange that an
expression that both delight in (allowing some varying interpretation)
should be unable to bring each of them to a point where a connection is
made. Not just one-way devotion.

I suppose this is where the "bedroom" part of saddo comes in. Though
DIETCOKEWITH was suspiciously sunny. I'm not sure I'm clear on the saddo
part anyway, is that just someone who likes sad music, or the music itself,
or what now? I heard Radiohead referred to as miserablist (sp?), which was
apparently resented by the band. ("I'm happy, I'm happy, and I'll punch the
man who says I'm not," said Ivor Cutler.)

The previous paragraphs were inspired by the awkward conversation as I only
intended to say hello to Stuart at the afterparty, but he was nice and said
more things and my mouth stopped working. Ah, shyness. But what did I really
have to say to this stranger? This charming, friendly stranger who had a
part in all these albums that I play so often. I'm glad anyway, even if I
didn't have anything good to say, I did soak up what I could of the show and
with the after's dancing (Richard was spinning when Mick and Chris and
Stuart hit the floor). I was surprised that so much rap and outright
aggressive dance music came out, I wondered if that was really what they
listened to at home.

I'm too exhausted to capitalize my song titles properly, apologies, and some
of them were instrumental/cover songs that I couldn't identify...maybe
someone else will?

set-list

*Instrumental theme that I think is from the 50's or 60's.
Expectations
Step Into My Office, Baby
Wrapped Up In Books
Woman's Realm
*A "country" song ("from WHAT country?") about travelling life and
shimmering and glimmering.
You Don't Send Me
Beautiful
Like Dylan In The Movies
Stay Loose
*Another instrumental theme, like a Western film.
Stars Of Track And Field
Asleep On A Sunbeam
Stars Of Track And Field
Dear Catastrophe Waitress
I'm A  Cuckoo
If You Find Yourself Caught In Love
Judy And The Dream Of Horses
Roy Walker
Patsy Cline's "Crazy" introduction by Stevie
Sleep The Clock Around
(did I miss any?)
You're Just a Baby (as an encore, which surprised me because there was no
encore last year and I was particularly pleased to hear this song that was
one of the first that I really loved...)

The venue was outdoors at the Backyard, and the wind blew the string
players' sheets off the stands with the shaved bit of moon shining whitely
overhead. Stuart coughed on the stage smoke, and the previous opening band
borrowed some sunglasses from the crowd because the lighting was so bright
(this was at night, under the stars). I might have more to say, but only
after some sleep...

-
exes and oh's
paisley