Sinister: post-Lawrence show report

Thomas Tollefsen whistlingpixie at xxx.com
Thu Nov 6 17:51:04 GMT 2003

Hi all,

Well Scotland's favorite sons and daughter invaded the
heart of America's heartland on Tuesday night and a
hoot was had by all.  I wasn't lucky enough to grab a
set list and the cheap booze at the venue sort of
rendered me useless for the task of remembering the
order of things.  Still, the set was in most respects
similar to those that have been posted as of late.
Almost everything from the latest, nothing from either
FYHCYWLAP or Storytelling, and various bits from the
first three full lengths.  Plus Photo Jenny and Dog on
Wheels, to boot.

Stevie did an improvised cover of the Shangri Las'
Train From Kansas City.  BUT, the big highlight of the
evening (for me at least) was Mick's first-ever (at
least that's what they said) fronting-the-band singing
effort.  He did Burt Bacharach's This Guy's In Love
With You and it was fantastic, even though he looked
as nervous as can be.

During the set someone kept yelling "Gentle Waves", to
which Stuart replied (something to the effect of), "It
looks as if someone out there is a bit enamored with
Isobel.  Maybe you could have done more than I could
to make her not want to quit the band."

Chatted with Stuart and Richard a bit after the show
and found out, to my chagrin, that there would be no
after-hours as they were off to St. Louis that night.
My friends and I then headed to some bar, where we
proceeded to plug up their box with Ween and Husker
Du.  On the way back to our hotel we saw the caravan
pulling out for the trip to Missouri and we hooted and
hollered and waved at them all as they drove by.
Quite bittersweet knowing that there they all were; so
close and yet probably they wouldn't be coming back to
these parts for many a moon.  Still we'll take what
can get and I hope all of you Stateside get a chance
to catch them on this latest outing.

Be sweet,
-Tom