Sinister: Columbus Ohio quick report (dumb version)

john barrick astroboy at xxx.com
Fri Nov 7 07:26:38 GMT 2003

Couldn't remember everything they played, or the order, but I'll try.

Surfy Instrumental Thing
Step Into My Office, Baby
Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Expectations
You Don't Send Me
Seeing Other People
Traveling Light
There's Too Much Love
Asleep On A Sunbeam
Photo Jenny
Wrapped Up In Books
Slow Graffiti
Piazza, New York Catcher
If She Wants Me
Dirty Dream Number Two
Lord Anthony
Cecelia (audience request)
Stay Loose
Roy Walker
Sleep The Clock Around

No Encore

They played brilliantly and the audience responded well to the songs -
there was quite a roar when Mick launched into the trumpet part on
Expectations.

Thing felt a little weird though.  People were yelling out requests all
through the show, to the point that they kept interrupting Stuart and
Stevie while they were trying to speak to the audience between songs -
it became a bit embarrassing.  The venue was not dance friendly and it
seemed to bother Stuart and Stevie somewhat as they both mentioned the
lack of dancing in various ways throughout the show.

During the drawn out ending of Sleep The Clock Around, the string
players all returned to the riser and I assumed there was another song
coming, but at the end of it the band walked off stage, with only Sarah
giving a tiny wave to the audience.  The crowd were immediately on their
feet with the  "encore" applause, but after three minutes or so, the
house lights and canned music came up and we were all left standing
there blinking at each other.  The lack of an encore was quite
disappointing and I was left with the feeling that they were less than
impressed with their audience tonight - sort of a downer ending to a
beautifully performed evening of music from my favorite band.

I hope Detroit comes off better for them.

john barrick