Sinister: reporting back (motown)

marie elia littlearsonist at xxx.com
Sat Nov 8 18:16:36 GMT 2003

--- john barrick <astroboy at cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> I hope Detroit comes off better for them.

sorry for you columbus folks (but one of my friends was there and she loved it!), but
yeah, i guess we fared a little better.  two encores!  "get me away from here i'm dying"
(for which i was NOT in the ladies' this year) "you're just a baby."  i can't remember
the set list, although we did NOT get "if she wants me" or "seeing other people," so,
good on you, columbus.  we DID get a fucking awesome cover of the jackson 5's "i want you
back," after which stuart proclaimed that he realized that he was "not 15" and "not
black."  it was amazing.  i guess the dee-troit kids were dancing enough for the band.
at first stuart seemed a little tired (or wary, if the previous night's show was not so
lively), but soon they were bantering and rocking out.  i wish they'd played "asleep on a
sunbeam"!  sarah was so great singing "women's realm"!

oh and we also had strange light-show effects, which made me feel like i might have a
seizure, but during "piazza new york catcher" it was just stuart wrapped up in his
microphone cord and bobby with acoustic guitar and nice, static blue lighting, with
stevie stepping in for a brief verse of harmonzing.  and "lord anthony" was gorgeous and,
if i remember correctly, not as spastically-lighted.

at one point stuart asked if anyone had done anything interesting since they last played
detroit (may 2002), and there was someone who'd gotten married (predictably), and someone
who'd had a birthday (stuart: "well yeah, duh, we've all had a birthday" or something to
that effect -- cheerily, though, not nastily), but there was one girl who'd graduated
high school -- which seemed to floor them a little.  and me -- i mean, she'd've been,
what?, TEN when tigermilk came out?!  damn.

but all in all it was such a great show.  i'm so glad that i realized that DCW is such an
amazing album.

i want more reporting back!

xoxo,
ree