Sinister: blue bombers

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Sun Nov 16 17:35:04 GMT 2003

it's been gig central here in Dublin. On Friday I saw local band Estel for
the first time. They turned out to be an art-rock outfit, with the emphasis
on the ROCK. They even had two drummer for some songs. I feel this kind of
thing is to be encouraged.

After them noted Australian band Ninety Nine were on. The most notable thing
about them was that they featured a mentalist on drums who looked like the
spit of the Pinefox (back when he had his new wave hairstyle). Does anyone
know where the Pinefox was on Friday night? could he have been playing drums
in Dublin?

Apart from their mentalist drummer, Ninety Nine were two women who sang and
played a variety of instruments. For all that I love xylophones, the best
songs were the ones where they rocked out, which is the kind of thing you
should do if you have the mentalist Pinefox on drums.

Last night I saw Dexy's Midnight Runners. The crowd were very up for it, in
contrast to what I've heard about some of the UK audiences. Kevin Rowland
(in his French gangster suit) seemed genuinely touched to be playing in
Ireland, although he did not take the opportunity to sing 'My national
pride'. Still, he did wow us with tunes from many eras of his band,
finishing with a cover version of a Commodores track called 'Night Shift'
which older readers may remember.

I'll be going to more gigs next week, as I'm over to fucking London for the
Strange Fruit festival and things like that. I'm going wednesday, thursday,
and friday. I might see some of you at these, although I may not recognise
you if we have never been introduced.

later,

DV