Sinister: why don't you pass the time by playing a little solitaire?

Shelley Plummer iwouldprefernotto at xxx.com
Tue Nov 18 04:49:05 GMT 2003

Hey Sinister-ites,

After attending two amazing Belle and Sebastian concerts last week at Town
Hall, I thought it was about time I delurk. I had seen the band in concert
for the first time during the summer, but the seat was too far away from the
stage for my liking. It wasn't until the Town Hall shows that I realized how
truly charming the band is...with their impromptu song requests and witty
banter...I think the evenings can best be summed up from a quotation from
the great film 'The Manchurian Candidate':

"You just cannot believe how lovable the whole damn thing was...The days
were lovable. The nights were lovable. And everybody was lovable."

They were so lovable, in fact, that I am currently undergoing B&S
withdrawal. Sure I have the records, but nothing beats seeing a great band
perform two nights in a row.

Well, it's probably best to keep the first message short, but keep the
emails coming as I do enjoy reading them...

red balloons & ferris wheels,

shelley

...have i eaten my sister's chocolate pudding? You see, she didn't want it
at dinner, but apparently did want it saved so she could have it before she
went to bed. Well, good Christ, how was I supposed to know all that, Hannah?
Who looks into the fine points when he's hungry? I'm eight years old and
chocolate pudding happens to get me hot. All I have to do is see that deep
chocolatey surface gleaming out at me from the refrigerator, and my life
isn't my own.
--'Portnoy's Complaint,' Philip Roth