Sinister: It's nineteen ninety-five, the girls are just friends

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Tue Nov 18 12:10:33 GMT 2003

I walked down the alleyway; it was a Sunday, and if I went back to the house
then things would go from bad to worse, so what could I do? I could hang
about and burn my fingers, I could go up to the country park, get some fish
and chips, but I've got no energy, I'm a lazy get. Suddenly, without a
warning, I was surprised. I heard a voice begin to speak, and he told me
something pretty strange: "It's Nineteen Ninety-Five". I was puzzled, I was
confounded, I need to talk to someone. Well, it won't hurt to think of you,
and listen to what other people say. So how about it?

It occurred to me that Sunday, as I listened over the rustling leaves to a
recording of a radio interview with Stuart Murdoch*, that his band are
something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Their latest album, Dear
Catastrophe Waitress, feted for its new, modern sound, contains no less than
three songs written circa 1995: Dear Catastrophe Waitress, If She Wants Me
and Lord Anthony. DCW was probably written even earlier. The vast majority
of Belle and Sebastian's output appears to have been written during 95-96,
including the first two albums, the first three EPs, and the title track of
the fourth, to name just the ones I know of.

<< Sebastian wrote all of his best songs in 1995. In fact, most of his best
songs have the words 'Nineteen Ninety-five' in them. It bothered him a
little. What will happen in 1996? >>

So my question is this. My problem, my confusion, the puddle in my Sunday
pile of leaves. Exactly how many songs did Stuart write in 1995? Are there
any other bands who wrote most of their songs in a couple of years then
released them years and years later? Is this in any way significant? Where
are my glasses? Oh, there they are!

Mr David Moore, Lord of Chelmsford sent me a little correction to the lyrics
of Scooby Driver. Here are the full lyrics for anyone who gives a cock.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scooby Driver

I'm coming over in the wrong direction
I only want to be the centre of your attention
For long enough to show you I'm worth the trouble that you take

I want to see the way that you portray
A boy who maybe doesn't have too much to say
And you can draw your own conclusions
But you'll find I'm not a fake

You can turn away from me
But there's nothing that'll keep me here you know
And you'll never be the city guy
Any more than I'll be hosting the Scooby Show

+++

Feeling terrible I need protection
There's a lot of ugly stuff that's going on
I want to live my life inside a car that's movin' fast
I want to see the way that you portray
A boy who's going to try and change his life today

+++

Everybody's clearly out to get me
I’ve got a right to stay inside my bedroom door
And close my eyes and listen to the music
Really makes you sore
And if you turn away from me
I will put you on my list of folk to hate
I will write it in my diary
And I will take revenge at a later date

I was randomly searched for drugs on Friday while I waited at the station
for my mislaid train. Charlie, the police dog, apparently thought I smelled
of drugs, but I'm sure that he could just smell the bacon I'd had for my
dinner. They took me into a back room, and filled in a form about me while I
dropped my trousers. Well, I thought I was *supposed* to drop my trousers.
That's what they do on telly, isn't it? "There's no suspicious packages in
*there*, sir." Helen, the disarmingly fragrant police officer, asked me how
old I was and what I did. I think she fancied me. Gosh, I thought, and
tipped my hat to a more attractive angle. But Charlie could smell bacon
again and they were off, so I buckled up my trousers and went to find my
train.

I wonder if anyone has bought Step Into My Office Baby yet..

Au revoir, mes petits fours,

Robin x

*http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=13547