Sinister: with your newfound love of neu and pad thai

rrrrobyn rfadden at xxx.com
Fri Nov 21 20:19:32 GMT 2003

periodically, elements:
since last we spoke, sinister, i have not managed to unlearn how to
read. in fact, i have learned whole bunches of new words, some of
which may or may not be made up. of letters or non-letters. i also
found a pink raincoat, 60s style. that totally goes with my pink
mini-skirt suit, 60s style. totally. goes.

reporting back (now with informative sub-headings):
between 'responsibilities', 'unresponsibilities', and growing my
hair, i've been to see shows, entertainments, flashing lights and
on-stage sweating.

- the dirtbombs:
wow! whoa! yes! two drumkits (and two drummers)! spasmodical robotic
dancing girl guitarist! mick collins! leg kicking to punctuate guitar
riffing! it hurt me, how real and good it was.

- julie doiron/damien jurado/rosie thomas:
this was lovely. i love julie. she makes you love things. everything
seems warmer when she sings. the world is a nicer place. i'm cheesy,
but it fits. and it was a cold night. everyone seemed to be wearing
nice scarves.

- le tigre/lesbians on ectasy/les georges leningrad:
let me begin with this: check out my awesome green les georges
leningrad t-shirt! it fits like a glove, is soft like fake-fur
kittens, and on it is a white drawing of a bat carrying a severed
head! *and* it's a non-musical material representation of one of the
most bizarre and entertaining (in a
watching-your-8th-grade-math-teacher-get-attacked-by-bees kind of
way) bands around. so, y'know, t-shirt! lesbians on ectasy is a
montreal band as well, with a definite e-energy vibe goin' awn -
dance-y, electro-y, fun-y. and le tigre, well, i mean, LE TIGRE.
matching outfits, motown style (y'know, same fabric, but kathleen's
got a strapless minidress,  johanna's got a dress with sleeves and an
a-line, and jd's got a button-up shirt and pants. rad.) old songs, a
few new songs (which were goood), synchronized dance moves, and a
fancy way of following a set list (computers! graphic interfaces!
etc.) i was happy. (for 5 minutes early on i was unhappy b/c a crew
of goonish indie men began to 'mosh' near the front, causing some
annoyance. especially when some pulled out, i kid you not, digicams.
i'm just, like, er, do you not listen to lyrics? please put away your
collector/capturer personas for an hour and be decent. i'm an
asshole. no. i'm decidely not. i just hold le tigre near and dear.)
so: always good to see le tigre, feel like you can do anything you
set your mind to (it's true-oooo!), and dance like a maniac to
'deceptacon'.

when buses strike back:
holy crap, there's a bus/metro strike on in montreal. how am i
supposed to achieve a nice, protective layer of fat for the winter
months when i have to do all this walking and cycling everywhere?
criminal. i guess i need to drink more beer. while walking and
cycling. just all the time really. oh, and eat chocolate. see, i know
my fat-making abilities and those two things will do it for sure.
remember back when thespark.com had a 'gain x number of pounds in x
number of days' contest? i would have kicked ass in that by eating
beer and candy alone. and not walking or cycling anywhere.

when i see hot pink graffiti, i say that's the graffiti for me:
before the bus strike, i saw some pink graffiti in a metro stn on a
billboard. it was in that graffiti language i'm not cool enough to
understand, but i think it was along the lines of 'rraaarr, we write
graffiti! now go and write an essay about it somewhere you silly
little academic wad!' haha, aw, pink graffiti.

visit montreal, i will try not to be too weird:
helen of australia rocks right back. i saw her in the summertime and
we walked around montreal and looked at things and i babbled about
stuff and i'm sure was awkwardly quiet at times too, yet she still
thinks i'm O.K. And she's a world traveller and therefore *knows*.
one day i will go to australia and be a world traveller too. but
mostly i will go to the beach and drink beer and eat candy.

you were always on my mind, you were always on my mind:
i bought a new walkman for $15.97 plus gst and pst b/c my old walkman
broke a while ago and i am too cheap (ppoorr) to go for a discman and
too damn *smart* to go for an mp3 player just quite yet. ipod ipod
ipod. want. not going to get. unless it's $15.97. which, nope, it
isn't. anyway, so i'm back listening to my tapes again, enjoying
mixes made pre-2000, featuring the pet shop boys, the pixies, b&s,
mag fields, you know the drill... the only downside to the walkman is
that it's ultra sensitive (read 'cheap', not 'lubricated thin latex')
to radio waves and things, so that every time i walk by a big
construction site or a taxi it buzzes and sometimes even clicks. it's
like the city is remixing my tunes yo. and damaging my cochlea. ow,
my cochlea! hahahaha.

love and bits,
robyn

p.s. despite having a pink raincoat, 60s style, i still want
loralai's pink coat, the one she was wearing last gilmore girls
episode with the awesome black and pink dress which i also want.
p.p.s. thinking about tv has just reminded me that rupert got kicked
off survivor last night. it was sad. both b/c it was a sad event and
b/c i yelled at the tv and then at the heavens and then at myself.
but really: why? rupert was the best thing to happen to reality tv
since do-it-yourself liposuction on the home and garden network.
yeah, so that never happened except on the TV Screen in My Head (8
p.m. Wednesdays, CTV), but man, Rupert gone? i'm writing him a
letter. (yes, just like the windchill factor, reality is but a
feeling too. a FEELING.)

=====
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Montreal, QC