Sinister: He asked for it... Unfortuantely it wasn't quite what I wanted to give him.

Jay Eckard jayeckard at xxx.com
Wed Oct 1 05:35:46 BST 2003

My, my Sinister!

  Young Mr Stoutish said we should send in reviews of DICKYWUSS. I figured,
"Hey! I write reviews! I can do that tout suite!"
  You see, part of my job at my radio station (WXDU) involves me reviewing
new Music, and of course I snagged the new B&S when it came in. So here's my
station review, hopefully useful, but concise enough to fit on the cover of
the CD. I'd be interested in what you collectively think.

Hugs to Girls and Kisses to Boys,
GayJay

PS: Ifn y'all like this review, there's plenty more just like at
www.jaylemurphreviews.blogspot.com...

The Review:

Artist: Belle and Sebastian Album: Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Label: Rough Trade Rating: 4.5 *s out of 5

Whoo-hoo! A new start for B&S works wonders! Moving from their long-time
label Jeepster, finding a new producer in the form of Trevor Horne (yes, the
one who did TaTu) and having ditched Bel Campbell from their line-up during
their US tour last year have all combined for their best album in a while.
Horne lends them some forgotten hader rock sounds (Yes, forgotten. Keep in
mind the band was born as a Metal Band called Rhode Island. Yes it was.)
that create some great pop music like the title track, track one and eleven.
They keep a strong grip on the pop sounds they're famous for, but tweak them
a bit. There's all the orchestral strength you remember, but it shifts into
brassy, more voiced sounds rather than oodles of strings. (2)
And just cause they're Belle and Sebastian, there's some great twee stuff --
Lord Anthony, track 9, has been done for at least 5 years live and finally
get the studio treatment it deserves. It's a heart-breaking little tale of
Anthony, beat up at school and crossdressing...
The .5 reduction comes from the Noise Factor Horne brings with him: in
several tracks, esp. in the last track (the poorest outing), it stops being
The Funk and starts to be The Pest.
But still A Damn Fine Album. Worth all those days in 97 I spent drooling
over Stuart Murdoch.

All Tracks clean
Recommended tracks 11!!, 1, 9
Play if you like: Good music. This has it all.

--
"The Posby falls into a Trance
In which it does a little Dance."