Sinister: fuzzy

Ruth Allan ruth.allan at xxx.uk
Wed Oct 1 11:00:28 BST 2003

oh thanks to rachel, I know exactly how she feels in that what was once a complete addiction in my life, not just to b&s but to suede and... oh my life... U2 and sidi bou said... arg... yes, and tiny songs like cornershops first ep meant everything to me, is no longer so powerful. I imagine its cos I have less cash and more bills and am 27 and contemplating what nursery to send the baby to, but actually its more cos like she says the hole in my life isnt so big anymore - and part of me feels guilty that thats the case. I hope its not just growing up in some ways, and I hope that music might take on something like that importance again.
I still listen to music ALL day and waste the other parts discussing the merits of frontmen ( can it be reasonable to know more about damon alburn's opinions than your own?) and writing rubbish like this ;
Dear Catastrophe Waitress  Belle and Sebastian (Rough Trade)
Know Belle and Sebastian's records and you'll understand what it is to hold your breathe until the album has a chance to weave it's way into your soul and you can sing nothing but 'Judy and The Dream of Horses'... making one appear highly fey. But with Dear Catastrophe Waitress, Belle and Sebastian have returned for their fifth proper album with an accessible avalanche of, well, catchy pop. From the folk frippery of tracks like 'Piazza, New York Catcher' to showtune bugling 'You Don't Send Me' it's all a bit different from the downbeat melancholia of Storytelling. Even if it doesn't grab you on arrival, know that in three months you'll have it on permanent rotation, and this time around, sing it loud, sing it proud - there is not a mention of horses in earshot. 9/10  - sounds a bit 'q' in retrospect...
But it's just not my whole soul anymore. Boo. for me thats what comes from being split in two, but also from going out with people... whereas in the olden days I kind of whent out with brett and bernard from suede in my head, which meant that the boy on the bus wasnt quite so essential. humpf. gripping..
has anyone seen qee bears? or italian for beginners? or joe cairns from wigan?

ruthxx