Sinister: b+s documentary and new website

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Wed Oct 1 11:19:29 BST 2003

I reckon Idleberry just wants Dear Catastrophe Waitress to be Tigermilk 5. I
do agree that Underachievers Please Try Harder is probably the better album
- it's one of the best albums I've heard for ages - but I like the feeling
of recklessness that DICKYWUSS has about it. It manages to be diverse but
still fit together somehow, like the old EPs used to do. And certain songs
are absolutely gorgeous. I think Idleberry just wants Belle and Sebastian to
be more twee.

It's funny, I've heard a few people dissing the whole "I'd rather be in
Tokyo, I'd rather listen to Thin Lizzy-oh" line, because it doesn't rhyme
properly. I find this very odd. Stuart's lyrics have never really rhymed
properly. In Lord Anthony he rhymes "toff" with "maths". I don't think
rhyming has ever had anything to do with why i like Stuart's lyrics. Anyone
can use a rhyming dictionary if they want to. I expect he doesn't want to.

Well.. what i actually posted to say was that the B+S website has a link to
the brand new Dear Catastrophe Waitress website at
www.dearcatastrophewaitress.com, where you can hear snippets of the album
tracks, read the song lyrics, look at photos and play a somewhat baffling
game. The lyrics are great, and it's good to see them all laid out. Some of
the lyrics here are different to those in the recording, another lovely
habit of Stuart's - there are lines about CS Lewis and a whole extra verse
to Stay Loose.  There's also a lovely piece of writing by Stuart about eggs
and how his favourite word is "creepeth", which I read last night when I was
staggeringly drunk and don't remember all that well. This might be the
sleevenotes, although i'm not too sure about that.

Also, more exciting news, to accompany the single Step Into My Office b+s
have released a documentary about a typical day in the life of Richard
Colburn, during which he nobs some foxy secretaries and runs about in his
pants. You can have a look at it here:
http://www.lesinrocks.com/DetailArt...m?iditem=162182 .

BYE!!

robin xxx