Sinister: die Kaiserschlacht

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Thu Oct 2 00:06:40 BST 2003

Here's something that's been bothering me. The new Belle & Sebastian album
is called "Dear Catastrophe Waitress". Three words, shortenable to the
initials DCW. So why are people inventing an endless succession of >10
letter "acronyms" for it? As an old person I feel that this was maybe funny
for TBWTAS, but it has outlived its usefulness.

With my rubbish internet connection and distaste for copyright theft I've
not managed to download the new record yet. So I can't review it. I can
think of reasons why it will be the record with which B&S go rub - lots of
old recycled songs that never made it onto earlier records, big name
producer likely to smother the B&S sound, Isobel no longer being in the
band, songs sounding like The Police, etc. But I imagine I'll buy it anyway,
and on past form I'll probably like it. I have certainly enjoyed the last
run of records from the great band of our times, with "Storytelling" being a
particular favourite round the Vicarage when I'm in a contemplative mood.

I reckon I'll buy the album in that shop in Glasgow when I'm over. do they
still give away stuff to people who buy indie wu-tang product? you can never
have too many t-shirts.

I'm going to be in Glasgow for the Aislers Set concert. I'm travelling alone
to a city where I don't really know anyone to see a band I'm only quite fond
of. So I expect an evening of being that weird guy in the corner on his own
will be in order. Plus ca change, hein?

I don't think I'll go to the UK to see B&S this year. If they want me to see
them play they will have to come to me. but I am reminded of one thing from
a while back - remember how the B&S manager person laid into some poor
American who was all sad because B&S weren't coming to her town? He said
that the band had played there before and were now more interested in
playing in places they hadn't been to before, like Reykjavik. Since then the
band have basically ignored Reykjavik and played a succession of gigs in
towns they've already played in. If I lived in Iceland I would be very
annoyed.

I'm not sure if I've posted since the Pinefox visited Dublin. Pretty much
everything he said was accurate, except for certain matters.

In other musical developments, I went to see popular band Camera Obscura in
Dublin recently (at a gig promoted by sometime Sinister subbers). I found
them very enjoyable, although it seems entirely reasonable that they will
spend the rest of their lives fielding B&S comparisons, given that you can
sing 'My Wandering Days Are Over' on top of one of their songs and some
other tune over another. But they are still a toptastic band and I wuv them
to death. I bought their earlier album at the gig and am looking forward to
buying the new one at some stage.

I'd better go to bed now, as I have a lot of vicaring tomorrow. but in the
meantime, a big shout to Psi and the Northern Ireland posse. RoXoR.

bless,

DV