Sinister: Yes, I Am Reading, Writing & Arithmetic

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Thu Oct 2 12:58:23 BST 2003

The Vicar said that most of what I had said about
going to Dublin was true. That was true. Unfortunately
I cannot write a follow-up for Ms Wesley unless I
start making things up. Perhaps the Vicar could start
us off on this process.

Elsewhere I have enjoyed (where) the Vicar's ex
cathedra pronouncements on the results of debates on
late B&S. They were correct also.

Chu went to Hong Kong to hear his song. That is going
the extra mile for a piece.

Stout Robin, of whose regular sinister appearances I
in principle approve, averred that rude words are, or
were, inherently funny. (I don't suppose he used the
word 'inherently'. Perhaps I am traducing him; save
that I am not.) I think that he is wrong. He does not
even trouble to register the REAL LIFE DEBATE we once
had on this question. I think we were in Greenwich
Park (at the time).

I think that finding rude words funny as a matter of
course is lame. But so, I suppose, are some horses,
which is also a matter of course(s).

Like others I have been struck by the names which have
popped up on sinister lately. One of them was the Duke
of Haranguey (stet). He said something about SW UK
place names being appropriate ingredients for pop
songs, eg. by B&S. I (q.v.) agree. As I have already
told him [private communication], and will now weary
him by saying again, my equivalent of this occurs on
ALADDIN SANE, where 'Paris or maybe Hell' ought to be,
and was initially thought by me to be, 'Paris or maybe
Hull'. I imagine that you can see the superiority of
my version, and the way that this confirms the Duke's
fiefdom of wisdom.

I have not heard the new B&S record. But I did in fact
hear some tracks at the house of Jerry the Nipper. My
judgement on, or of, them is not reliable. For one
thing, the Nipper's computer transforms the way that
records sound. It makes David Bowie sound like David
Jones - of the Monkees! It makes Elton John sound like
Reg Presley - *his real name*. It makes Ken Bruce
sound like the comedian Ken Dodd, or possibly the
comedian Martin Heidegger, offering you a cheese and
onion crisp. Only the one, mind.

For another, I am not sure whether what JtN played was
the actual content of the forthcoming record, or
something else. For another, my listening was
distracted and inprecise. For another, I disapprove of
listening to music in that fashion, so I am battling
to repress whatever it was I Heseltine, I mean, Hurd.

To that extent I have not Douglas the new record yet.
Is it out?

JtN has somewhere said that it sounds like Squeeze.
They are a band that it is quite fun to call 'Sqeeze'.
I like The Squeeze, as PJ Milner has in the past
appellated them, quite a lot. I am not though sure
whether the B&S band should attempt to sound like
them.

A record that is quite good is Roger McGuinn's
'Friend'. I think that its 'lyric' may have been
written by Jacques Levy, who also co-wrote
'Hurricane'. Another record that is quite good is 'I'm
So Restless', on which I think that Dylan plays
harmonica like Dylan in the 70s.

I am occasionally doing battle with a rogue
copy-editor. Perhaps I should say no more for now
about this fell figure who strongly feels that the
word 'keynote' should be altered to 'cornerstone', the
fetching' to 'winding', and 'Strasse' to 'street'.

Dav[id] Jones of the Monkees (stet) has been gearing
up to release a new record about dangerous driving,
called 'New Killer Car'. I wonder if anyone, possibly
called "Peter", would like to report back on how it
sounds.