Sinister: how very embarrassing.

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Thu Oct 2 22:51:59 BST 2003

Robin said…

I'd rather be in Tokyo, I'd rather listen to Thin
Lizzy-oh

Ah. I thought he said Torquay-oh. Now I know.. and
there was me getting all irritated becauseI thought
the Boy Murdoch was being sloppy and not pronouncing
his r’s properly.

I feel rather embarrassed now.

Still, it's a shit album, mind.

* * * * *

Everyone has been discussing birthdays, lately.

Could I point out a few birthdays that ought to be
mentioned? I notice that despite my attempts to market
it like a second Christmas Day, people still forget.

Mine.
11th October.

Also, Nal (Realouch) is getting older too, before me,
although she remains younger than me. She doesn’t post
here these days, instead she has gone into lurkerdom,
regularly reading the posts, and bitching about you
all behind your backs on #sinister. ;)

I need to get her a pressie, her birthday is this
Sunday, I believe. I think I better make it a good
pressie for that last comment.

Librans are indeed, are darlings. Apparently, we’re
meant to be beautiful, popular, modest, elegant,
graceful, and diplomatic. I think that describes me
perfectly anyway, dunno about the rest of you.

 * * * * * * * *
Kieran told us how he fell in love with B&S. My story
is a long one, as it works its way over three months
or so. But here is a brief summary:

March 1999: I meet my boyfriend, we get it on*, I go
back to Norway where I was studying.

April 1999: He sends me a tape with all sorts of music
on it. I quite like one track, by some band called
Belle And Sebastian. It’s called Sleep the Clock
Around. I think they sound like the Wannadies.

May 1999: I return from Norway (I only lasted two
weeks after I went back after Easter, such was the
force of love pulling me home) and spend the next two
months listening to Mark telling me all about Belle
and Sebastian, and Bowlie, and how great it is. He
lends me their entire back catalogue, including the
Gentle Waves and Looper. I’m fed up of hearing about
them so I shove them into my cupboard for the next
month or so.

June 1999: I tell Mark I don’t really like B&S, having
listened to a few tracks on the albums he leant me. I
prefer Idlewild instead. It gets me in a good bitchin’
mood for my days working at Scottish Widows call
centre.

Early July 1999: I’m starting to get bored of all this
B&S talk. Like, whatever.

Mid July 1999: T In The Park. I take my CD player;
Mark plays nothing but B&S to me at the campsite.

Late July 1999: A few days after T In The Park. I am
in Edinburgh. I go into Fopp. I see someone out of
Idlewild. They are playing that bloody Tigermilk
record. Out of sheer “if you can’t beat em, let the
fuckers just try and brainwash you” I buy Tigermilk
and TWATTYBUS.

August 1999: I am a convert. Take me to your leader.

Incidentally, the asterisk in my last post, if you
recall, was cos I thought that the interview Richard
Lander linked to, was very similar to one that was
published in the Big Issue, and conducted by Stacey
Dahling. I might be wrong.

Loving you and leaving you (but not in a quitting
sinister way)

Idles

*No doubt that phrase will be repeated to me in
quotation marks, in the very near future.

=====