Sinister: what noise does a rabbit make, anyway?

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Sun Oct 5 20:50:01 BST 2003

Hullo

Ah, I was supposed to be writing my belle and sebastian review today, but i
don't think i'll get the album till tuesday, and seeing as i haven't heard
it i can't possibly review it, can i? I think If She Wants Me will be a
really good song. I think that Sharon might be spot on with her Morricone
comparision for the title track, too. I hadn't really thought of that until
she mentioned it.

There have been lots of reviews of the album in the press, though. Most of
them pretty good, too. Look:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1055915,00.html

The Pinefox traduced me thus:

<<
Stout Robin, of whose regular sinister appearances I
in principle approve, averred that rude words are, or
were, inherently funny. (I don't suppose he used the
word 'inherently'. Perhaps I am traducing him; save
that I am not.) I think that he is wrong. He does not
even trouble to register the REAL LIFE DEBATE we once
had on this question. I think we were in Greenwich
Park (at the time).

I think the conversation was actually about whether certain words are
inherently funny, or appropriate, or, indeed, have any intrinsic value at
all. I think I argued that TROWEL was a funny word, as was PAMPHLET, and I
probably said that BOOB is a good word because it both looks and sounds like
what it describes. I might even have made absent-minded grabbing motions in
the air when I said this. I dunno, I was probably just being obnoxious
anyway.

I think the thing with the absurd album acronyms is that it's All A Bit Of
Fun. They're rather surreal, really. I mean, what is a twatty bus? What's a
fishy clap? Whatever they are, I think someone should call a doctor, and
quick!