Sinister: probably something about girls

chris_t_opher chris_t_opher at xxx.com
Mon Oct 6 00:32:06 BST 2003

people,

"the time will come in this world when everyone will know someone whose
favourite band is belle and sebastian. and then no one will be able to
listen to a damn thing" - a variation on lyrics from a song i dont know
by a band i dont know. it is on a sinister tape tree tape circa 1998
(or so). to whoever is even slightly organised on this list: please
start up another tree. the song always brings a smile to my face on the
occasions - few and far between - when i actually get to drive.
yesterday was one of them. today was another.

'downsize' practically won our scrabble game. 'down' was already there,
as was the e. i cant claim all the credit - my playing partner
suggested 'size', i just found a snug fit. triple letter score for the
z, 45 points total. it is funny how we go through life assuming things
and making things up. like scrabble rules. a blank tile... you dont get
however many points the letter you choose is worth, you get none. if
you place a word that isnt in the dictionary, you lose your turn. no
plurals allowed. things i took for granted for years arent actually
correct. i used to score close to 500 with my faux-rules. today, 195
was easily enough to win.

last night was the new album's playback at the star+garter. i didnt
hear a single new b+s song all night. i did hear plenty of people
exclaiming "Camera obscura!" at me though. i was wearing the tshirt so
maybe i shouldnt be so surprised. that place is like its own little
community, my friend said earlier. if it were an actual community, the
lack of diversity might be its downfall but its members' friendliness
and taste its saving graces. i would explain what the s+g is but
whenever i mention it, you always seem to know anyway.

like many of you, i am still undecided about the new album. i havent
heard it, i dont know if i want to. and yet, the idea of a new b+s
album being in the shops when i wake up tomorrow is exciting. with
storytelling, i heard plenty of bad things about it and therefore didnt
buy it til a good six months after it was out. i was pleasantly
surprised (though not overwhelmed). with dcw, i am hearing good
reports. it would be more of a letdown now if im expecting something of
value and find that... i just dont like it. but maybe itll become my
favourite b+s album ever. when i do finally get around to buying it.

if you love the old, live version of lord anthony as much as i do,
download it quickly. i tried the other day but found dozens of dcw
version and not a single bootleg version. someone stepped in and saved
me (thank you) but it was looking hairy for a moment or two. maybe, if
we all wish hard enough, one day i'll have the same trouble finding
rhoda.

an american girl was in my house earlier. before leaving, she took a
quick glance into my room. she saw my 3..6..9 poster and maybe my
sinister poster too. i know because i heard her sigh.

cheerio,
chris.