Sinister: Kids in America

Paul Arathoon paularathoon at xxx.com
Mon Oct 6 14:46:52 BST 2003

PITCHFORK REVIEW
Funny one, that Pitchfork review. I don't love legalman (despite the fact I
am a legal man and love nothing more than shouting about clauses 1, 2, 3 and
4) but I love the album and I can't see how legalman really relates to it.
But hey what do I know? (lots and lots actually).

As for bands being disappointing, it's an odd concept. I think six albums in
eight years is a good return and it's not like there are any mid 80's
Rolling Stones-esque embarrassments in the back catalogue.(I bet you Jagger
wishes he wrote Track 3 off FYHC).
I've been far more disappointed with other bands over the years.

Back to the LP...It's my favourite Belles album since Twattybus (so that
would be 1 and a soundtrack but still...)and it's probably better than
Twattybus.

KIDS IN AMERICA
Are the majority of B&S fans Kids in America? Interesting one that. I can't
answer it but if Sinister is taken as a sample the majority are UK based,
non?

SINISTER GOLD (Sky channel 268)
It's good to see Sinister Gold in action what with the re-emergence of old
posters. Which got me thinking- whatever happened to the sinister village?
For those too young to remember it was a virtual village which featured
members of Sinister. It was probably crap but at the time I was at
University and helped me to waste the day in the library so I have rose
tinted memories of it.

ON LORD ANTHONY
Incidentally, it was possibly around that time, (maybe a little earlier)
when the Big Rumour went round that Lord Anthony would be released on a
single with Middle Distance Runner and Paper Boat. So by my calculation
Paper Boat might see the light of day in 2005.
I prefer the live version of Lord A I've got where it was clearly Struan at
an open-mic night as you can hear pint glasses being smashed and collected
in the foreground. The DWC strings are very lush but you can't beat the
smokey, beery ambience the live version contains

PARANTHESES
Yes, I realise there are far too many in the above post.