Sinister: Two-letter words

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Mon Oct 6 16:17:29 BST 2003

Hello Sinister.

Well, I *have* heard DCW a couple of times, and I reckon it's pretty good.
Maybe their best? Maybe, for it's sheer audacity. I enjoy a bold step (See
Kid A, or Lambchop's Nixon etc) even if it's not as strong in content as
previous forays. Certainly, it's not their best as far as tunes go, nor as
far as lyrics go either, in my opinion, although I reckon "Step...",
"If...", "Piazza..." and "I'm..." are among my favourite B&S choons.

I don't really have much to add to the cornucopia of opinion surrounding the
record. Simply, I concur completely with Archel
(http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/200310/msg00000.html) about
the band not holding the same position in my life anymore, and also with The
Duke (http://www.missprint.org/sinister/mhonarc/200310/msg00015.html)
about DCW being so good because it's such F!U!N to listen to.

And now, some more threading... Chris mentioned Scrabble. I've been getting
highly addicted to it at the moment, leading to me learning all my
two-letter words and the like. My personal triumph of recent games was
"quashing" going through a triple word and a double letter somewhere, too,
which earnt me about a gazillion points.

He also spoke about tape trees, but I'll come to that later.

Ken then said:

>Or is it a scent thing that when you rub the plate of food you get the
>smell of the food coming out?

...which reminded me of my copy of Jollification, by The Lightning Seeds. I
had a limited edition release with strawberry-scented packaging, and I was
most surprised the other day when I dug it out that, 8 years (maybe 9?
Lightning Seeds officianados step forward now) down the line, I could still
distinctly smell synthetic strawberry. It was obviously potent stuff. I was
even more surprised to discover that Jollification is a far finer album than
I remembered, incorporating the same kind of joy as DCW, in fact. Go on,
have a listen to it again. "Perfect", "My Best Day" and "Punch & Judy" are
still up to the task, for sure.

And then Mark started banging on about Rhoda, and online petitions and the
like. I whole-heartedly agree Sinister's finest twee-baiter, and so here is
my attempt at non-violent, direct action:
http://www.petitiononline.com/Rhoda/petition.html. Enjoy.

And now, tape trees.

(For those who don't know, tape trees are more like tape circles - everybody
makes a tape, and then sends it to the next person in the circle. A
fortnight later, you pass the tape you recieved on the person next to you.
Eventually, all the tapes go round the circle, and you hear everybody else's
tape. Everything ends when yours comes back to you).

Right then. I may live to regret this, but I'd be quite up for being a
tape-tree mummy. Here are my suggestions:
1) From previous experience, tape trees with pratrillions of people on them
inevitably crumble under their own weight, and your tape never gets the
whole way around, so I reckon an upper limit of 15 people would be a lot
more practical, and easier for me to manage too.
2) CDs are allowed, too.
3) No B&S songs, because we know about them already*
4) Non-UK residents are more than welcome.

Sound reasonable? Okay then, well email me your name and address, and say
whether you're willing to post abroad, and we'll go from there. Hurrah.

Hmm, a bit of an epic, I'm afraid.

love

Asm.x

*unless it's "Rhoda".