Sinister: Punctured bicycle on a hillside - desolate

Paulo Stinsoni paulo_stinsoni at xxx.com
Mon Oct 13 12:18:52 BST 2003

You young whippersnappers you.

I remember lying in my bedroom, back in 198? and listening to “This Charming
Man”.  It was the first Smiths song I’d ever heard, and Johnny Marr’s guitar
twinkled on the tops of the pretty little notes, Morrisey whined his grass
roots lyrics intertwined with teenage angst while all the time Mike Joyce
(or was it Andy Rourke? – I can’t remember now) created a rolling bass line
on which the guitar and voice sailed upon.  I was a devoted Smiths fan from
then.  I took to wearing granddad shirts untucked, and flowers in my back
pocket.  I longed for some National Health specs (I did eventually get some)
and oscillated wildly at "What Difference Does it make".

I looked a right climpy.

Others thought so too.  I was bullied and persecuted for my "faith".  We (my
buddies and me) were hounded by groups of punks (punks in the mid eighties?
They just don’t know when to stop, probly all that smack has addled their
minds) skinheads, and people of no noticeable musical faith (God knows why
*they* bothered).  I argued Morrissey's lyrics were ironic and funny, not
miserable – oh those fools.  What I’m trying to say was I suffered for their
art.  I was/am a devoted fan.

And now, 20 years later I hear you youngsters talking about those Smiths
songs, and how wonderful they were.  Well you can’t have them.  I suffered.
I lived through it and they belong to me, and anyone else who lived through
that musical era.  Get your own music to suffer for.

There, now go ahead and tell me to get lost cos music is for everyone etc
etc.

Paulo