Sinister: Beer Alleviates Hatred

kenneth.chu at xxx.org kenneth.chu at xxx.org
Mon Oct 13 15:05:19 BST 2003

Hello...

Have you ever had that feeling that sometimes it's nice to have an old
friend who you know is never going to change, no matter what happens?
Someone you can depend on, almost take for granted.  It's a bit like
pitchforkmedia, how reassuringly they write reviews that brings a smile to
my face, enlightening me in such a way that is rivalled only by the likes of
say, the Duke of Edinburgh.

> Ironically, with a new-found ability to rectify their once at-odds
> musical interests, Belle & Sebastian have emerged as shiny happy people,
> becoming that of which they were always falsely accused: t*ee

I like the notion that being happy = t*ee as well, did they not know that
t*eeness is an affectation?

What Kate of C said in her email made sense to me somewhat (I could well
have totally misunderstood though).  I guess it's not quite as COOL to be a
B&S fan anymore because if someone asks you what they're like you can't say
something like "oh they make really good folky songs about being bullied in
school and stuff man", now you have to like, say "oh they have some pretty
good songs in quite a few different music styles and about lots of things".
It's just not as CATCHY.

Critics probably call this "losing direction".  I dunno, though.  As long as
there are the songs still with the flowing melody and witty lyrics I'm
happy, whether I know what they had for breakfast or not.

If you want to be cool nowadays you better be a RED BULL DOZERS fan.
Guarenteed to help you pull.  The myth, the shambolic performances, the lack
of exposure to the press, it's got the lot, wow.  AND they do madonna
covers.

Adrian Evans said:
> I have to say that there does seem to be a twee siege mentality going on
> around here.  I personally think DICKWARTS is fantastic ... The louder the
> > better - can't wait for the first Iron Maiden cover version.

That's one already - The Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner

http://www.lyricsxp.com/lyrics/t/the_loneliness_of_the_long_distance_runner_
iron_ma.html

Paul Arathoon said:
> Which got me thinking- whatever happened to the sinister village?
> For those too young to remember it was a virtual village which featured
> members of Sinister. It was probably crap...

I just checked and the site's still there!

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-63235/sinister/

Aw, back in the days.  Look!  It's even called itself "A Twee Community",
it'd be frowned upon these days.

Dictionary.com is fantastic, their Word of the Day on 28th Sept is
"TITIVATE"
haha

> It's easy to laugh at a book in which the heroine's husband
> says  to her, "You look beautiful," and then adds, "So stop
> titivating yourself."
> --Joyce  Cohen, review of To Be the Best, by Barbara Taylor
> Bradford, [1]New York Times, July 31, 1988

If I ever get married that's what I'm gonna tell my wife.  Or maybe "So
start Titivating yourself".

Finally, rrrobyn said:
>> i don't have:
>> a b&s ticket for toronto. c'est trop cher pour moi. triste stuff.
>> a whole bunch of new albums that i'd really like to have.
>> a boyfriend.

Single sinister boys in Toronto with a spare B&S ticket and lots of record
store vouchers, here's your chance!

Ken
P.S.: If you still haven't send in your tape for the SINISTER NAMESAKES
MIXTAPE CHALLENGE, it's not too late!  Especially if your name is robyn, or
robin, or robert.  THE RACHELS have already handing theirs in, you know.

This email is confidential and intended solely for the person or entity to whom it is addressed.  If this email was not intended for you please notify the UCLH Mail Administrator at mail.administrator at uclh.org.
This footnote confirms that the email and attachments contained no viruses when they left UCLH.