Sinister: impressions and questions

laurel lemming innerlemming at xxx.com
Tue Oct 14 02:19:26 BST 2003

dear Sinister,

now that I've had a week to keep DICKYWUSS on repeat,
I've compiled a short list of things that I want to
ask Sinister about.

first I should say that I love the album. on first
listen, I was kind of scared; I really didn't like it
at all, and I didn't think the songs were going to
become what all the other B+S songs are for me. but I
think I've appropriated them into my B+S mind now.

now, quickly, song by song: this isn't a review, it's
a cry for help!

Step Into My Office, Baby: lovely. fun. no questions
here.

Dear Catastrophe Waitress: on first listen, I thought
it was rather weak for being the title track, and
though I still think it's a bit of a stretch at times,
it's grown on me. but not like IYFS or TWATTYBUS.

If She Wants Me: fits nicely with We Rule The School,
I think, thematically.

Piazza, New York Catcher: classic B+S folky ballad. I
like it better than Beyond The Sunrise, anyway. not
that that takes much. anyone notice this, it sticks
out to me: "...in the guise of *gentle* words/Come
*wave* upon me" -- am I reading too much into this?
see comment on I'm A Cuckoo as well.

Asleep On A Sunbeam: one of my favorites on this
album, if not my #1. you can sing This Is Just A
Modern Rock Song to it, especially the solos in the
instrumental parts.

I'm A Cuckoo: ah, the first mention of prayers on the
album. I'm not a fan. but the song is catchy. what do
you make of the "lost a singer to her clothes" line?

You Don't Send Me: is this an actual legitimate
phrase, or a B+Sism?

Wrapped Up in Books: every time I hear the first line,
I think of String Bean Jean. which is not a bad thing.

Lord Anthony: finally. I'm going to have to ask
someone to translate "Bunking off though you're a
toff" for me, though. maybe toff doesn't mean what I
thought it did.

If You Find Yourself Caught In Love: I love this song,
except it makes me feel like I'm in church. the last
verse saves it, though, I think. what's the line after
"You've got to start somewhere?"

Roy Walker: um. fun?

Stay Loose: David Bowie crossed with Split Enz's
"Dirty Creatures," I think. this took the longest for
me to like. it doesn't sound like B+S. it's very
strange to end an album with.

overall, though, I like this album much better than
both FISHYCLAP and Storytelling. it's a bit different,
but it's more similar to previous albums than
different from them. I like the order of the songs,
particularly SIMOB and the LA/IYFYCIL transition.
altogether, I'm incredibly pleased, and a little
relieved.

thanks and love,
lem