Sinister: Posh and Becks and Isobel Campbell

duke of harringay duke at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 14 19:49:15 BST 2003

On 14/10/03 15:14, "Rask" <raskolnikoff_01 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> P.S  "Bunking off though you're a toff" = playing truant even though your
> posh

But let us stress that it doesn¹t mean playing truant even though you're
Posh. No, no, and thrice no. Even though I bet she did bunk off when she was
at school... Wonder if Becks used to skive an all? Maybe in a secret
previous existence they met behind the bike sheds for a quick drag, snog and
grope. Or not.

And some have been talking about the absence of Isobel on the current album,
and casting around for whether that's a good or a bad thing... Personally,
I'd go for a thumbs up about her absence, particularly because for me she
ruined that album about the folding of hands, but heh, maybe that's just me.
And those Gentle Waves records were h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e. Oh yes they were. I
wanted to boak when I heard them (shivers at the memory). Which of course is
why when a copy of her new solo effort arrived (oddly enough in the same
mail shot as the record about the waitress) it was treated with not a little
distaste and disdain. Once again, I had a review all ready to go, and let me
tell you it wasn¹t pretty. It was full of hate and bile and frothing
madness... but then something astounding happened. The record turned out to
be really rather splendid! And it still is... Like a rather fetching
soft-pop album beamed in from the late '60s or early '70s, flouncing on
memories of the incomparably exquisite Wendy and Bonnie. Yum.

Okay, I need to go start planning my tape tree CD. It's gonna be a killer
comp.

The Duke

www.tangents.co.uk
the home of unpopular culture