Sinister: as a hobby it's sad

Joanne Hill jlhill81 at xxx.com
Sun Oct 19 01:53:27 BST 2003

Hello Sinister lovelies,

Recently I've been thinking about my place in Sinister, why I'm here, what
my relevancy is to the list and what it means to me, whether I'm valid here
or should I even be here. I joined - coming to up 12 months ago - because I
was feeling a little isolated where I was, because I was enjoying the
novelty of 24 hr net access for the first time, and cause it seemed like a
cool thing, this Belle and Seb community. But recently I'd been thinking
about how much of a B&S fan I am/was, when I joined up. I thought, why
should I be here? I don't know nearly as much about B&S, or love them as
much, as many other people. With all this talk of middle kids and old
people, I still felt new, like i'd just joined. A bit scared, like. I only
got IYFS this year. (Yes, slapped wrist)

But, for the first time, I bought a B&S CD brand new on the day it came out.
I unwrapped it and listened to it on the bus from Coventry to uni, a bumpy
journey trying to read the sleeve notes and giving up cos I was too
engrossed in the songs. I'm still getting used to it. I won't talk about
what i think of it - I think my opinion has been coloured by reading too
much on Sinister and Bowlie about what others think.

And I've been able, in lumping the two together, to think that there is
something of meaning added to me and my life by being involved in these
things - away from the computer feeling a sense of detachment but also of
belonging, something great that I know about that people I meet, don't. I'm
not entirely sure what it is I'm trying to say. B&S have been a constant
*thing* when nothing else has seemed constant.

On Thursday i went to the Colloseum in Coventry, Offbeat night, I was DJing,
but before that I was sat talking to some Offbeat people about B&S, having a
discussion of the new album, Sarah and Isobel and their songs on the albums.
And it struck me that I *do* know a lot about the band - yes much of it I've
learnt from being here the last year, but if this is a band that i know and
am willing to learn about, I must be some sort of fan, and must have some
sort of claim to being here.

I played LLPJ that night. People danced. I sang and later lost my voice cos
I had fresher's flu.

I found that the best time to read posts is 2am, they just seem to have much
more of a life affirming, poetic feel to them then. I can go - yes.
Especially this last week. I can't name names...I've kept some of
them....whoever has posted this week knows who they are.

This isn't meant to be some sort of, 'Sinister, you're great!' post. Just a,
this is what I've been thinking about lately.

Last month I went to Sheffield Offbeat, and met some cute little
Sinisterettes. I hope they are doing well wherever they are. The train thru
the Peaks was lovely and well worth the many changes. It's almost one whole
tunnel all the way from Dore to Stockport. Then a quick glimpse of a hill,
dark brown and craggy, all shiny and untouched, sweeping by. Anyway that was
then, and now I'm in Warwick again, I have a view of trees from my window,
and crisp dry fallen leaves.

Sorry I cant be more poetic and life affirming myself,

Joanne

While I wrote this I listened to: Low 'Trust' and Yeah Yeah Yeah 'Maps'