Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Oct 21 09:26:54 BST 2003

I disagree with Robin and Stuart about lyrics being the most important thing
in rock music. It's riffs that really count. And so it shall remain, until
deaf us do part. That's why I like my 4 LPs on one MD Neil Young minidisc so
much, especially when the riffs are accompanied by machine gun noises. It's
also why I like my Led Zep DVD. I wonder whether the new B&S DVD will be as
good as the Led Zep one? I'm not sure about that title, 'Fans Only'. Surely
it would have been better to call it 'Real Fans Only', or perhaps 'Real Fans
(a Pathetic Term) Only'.

Doesn't Isobel look gorgeous as a drawing? I might get my crayon out and
have a go myself.

I have heard the new record, but I haven't got much to add to the lively
debate. At times the orchestration's debt to the closing bars of
Stravinsky's 'Le oiseau de feu' is a both liberating and overpowering for
this listener, and the attempt to emulate the theme from the BBC's 'Top
Gear' motoring programme at the beginning of 'I'm a Cuckoo' is a huge
adrenaline rush. I can see the similarity between 'Stay Loose' and The
Squeeze and Denim, but I don't think that's quite right. It reminds me of
something else, but I can't put my finger on it. I think it might be
something on Stiff Records. Was Ian Dury on Stiff Records? Does it sound a
bit like Ian Dury? 'DCW' reminds me of New Order's 'Blue Monday'. The lyrics
seem to be littered with references to heroin. 'Wrapped Up In Books'
contains the line, 'You should never split a pole', which obviously means,
'you should never share a needle', a nod to the infamous 'shooting
galleries' of Glasgow, where Stuart Murdoch spent the mid-eighties. 'I will
say a prayer, just while you are sitting there' - nodding out. 'Our
apsirations are wrapped up in books' - hunt the stash (we all know Murdoch
loves a treasure hunt).

Peter