Sinister: you don't thrill me

marisa stroud charismarisa at xxx.ca
Tue Oct 21 20:46:50 BST 2003

So I finally figured it out.

Today in Glasgow it was raining. Not a lot of rain,
but enough so you'd know it was a rainy day. Also, it
was cold. Not too cold, but cold enough so you'd get
roses in your cheeks.

I wanted to go home and curl up with a mug of tea and
a book. I wanted to sit beside the window and look up
at the grey sky and be glad I was inside.

This is what I wanted. I wanted autumn. I wanted cold
weather and Scotland and grey days. I really did.

And I've been wanting it for awhile now. I was looking
forward to bad weather and warm sweaters. I was
looking forward to homemade soup and cuddling together
for warmth.

But no!

This summer there was a heat wave! This autumn it has
barely rained at all! And it has all felt very, very
wrong.

Ever since I first heard the DICKWANK tracks, I've had
an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I've been
trying to figure out what was wrong. I tried to think
of some reasons why I just didn't dig it as much as I
wanted to:

"There are too many songs about love."
There are always many songs about love on b&s records.

"There aren't enough characters."
There are plenty of characters, good ones too. Miss
Private and Ferdinand, the Catastrophe Waitress, and
Lord Anthony, to name four solid candidates.

"There isn't enough to dance around the room to."
Will not dignify with response. I like my little red
dress.

But you know what it is?

It's the wrong damn season for this album.

Yes. Look at it and you will see. There isn't anything
nice and wintery like 'Fox In The Snow' or 'Winter
Wooskie'. 'Chalet Lines' is all kinds of February. I
want to put on comfy pants and potter lazily around
the flat, and DICKWANK just ain't helping me set the
mood.

This is a late-spring album, when you're sick to death
of crappy cold weather and you're really looking
forward to getting your summer groove back. It's not a
Thrills-y 'Summer Album', but it has hope. Captial-H
Hope. But this is not the time for Hope, says I. 'Tis
the season for Socks! And Cocoa!

Boo, Northern Hemisphere! You are the wrong season for
the new album! Boo indeed.

To all the folkage of the Southern persuasion:
Congratulations. To myself: Go listen to
'Underachievers, Please Try Harder'.

Done and done.

marisa.