Sinister: the night I danced with U2's The Edge

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Wed Oct 22 21:28:17 BST 2003

Once I went to a nightclub and danced with U2's The Edge. It was in the
Palace Of Dance that it happened. Howie B., U2's hippity hop pal, was DJing
and U2's The Edge was there, and I danced with him.

Actually, I was just on the same dance floor as U2's The Edge, and while we
were both dancing, there wasn't really any sense in which I was dancing
*with* him. I didn't even approach him or anything, because Irish people are
cool about these things and don't hassle the stars like that.

Something similar happened the other day when I was in Glasgow's The
Winchester Club. I'd flown over to see The Aislers Set and The Lucksmiths
who were playing there. I found both bands very enjoyable, particularly The
Lucksmiths about whom I had few expectations. I especially liked when they
introduced a song with "Here's one for anyone who likes boardgames". I was
the only person who cheered, marking me out as a SADDO, but I didn't care. I
liked the song that followed, which was called "Even Stephens", although
sadly it was about Scrabble rather than some game designed by Reiner Knizia.
Errrr, delete that last bit from your memory. The Aisler Set were fun in a
boppy jumpy up and downy way, although I did think that The Aislers Set's
singer could have been a bit more indie looking.

I was amazed at all the people from popular bands present - most of Camera
Obscura and a significant proportion of Belle & Sebastian. I resisted the
urge to show Stuart Murdoch who has the last laugh by punching him one, but
I did find myself dancing next to him at one point. Crucially, he came over
to dance beside me, proving that my fame has spread even to Glasgow. The
best bit was when Stevie Jackson was dancing with the other woman from the
Aislers Set, and everyone formed a circle round them and started clapping
while they strutted their stuff like what happens in films (elements of the
previous sentence happened only in my imagination).

I've noticed a lot of disrespect to Stevie on the list lately. I feel that
it is time an Inquisition was inaugurated here, and heretical B&S fans
identified and exterminated (should they refuse the opportunity to recant).
People must learn to accept that Stevie is THE MAN, and all who disagree are
false B&S fans. This problem will be solved.

[pause while I enjoy passing judgement over those whose faith in B&S has
been found wanting]

Anyway, I met some lovely people from the list in Glasgow. Robin Stout,
notably, but I've met him loads of times at this stage. I also met Lucy,
Ally, other Lucy, Rachel, and then various people who might be on Sinister
or who might belong to THE OTHER PLACE, or both. I sadly failed to meet
Idleberry because no one pointed her out to me.

The next day I went to Edinburgh and upped my tweefucker quotient by paying
repeated visits to the statue of Greyfriars Bobby. He was a very good dog,
apparently.

Then I came home.

Jonathan Skinner mentioned how we Irish Sinisters should have some kind of
get together when ~Stine comes over from sunny Chicago in... next March, is
it? This could be a larf. It does seem like a while since I met any Irish
listers, probably not since they played Belfast that time. Eh... well,
obviously I've met the one I live with a few times since then, and I did
meet Wookie in the company of the Pinefox that time. But there are so many
others  that I met just the once and then never again. Yes, this meetup
would be a top idea. Maybe some of the UK Sinister subbers will come over to
it as well?

where to have it is a bit of a conundrum. Jonathan suggested Galway, but I
have loads of relatives there I want to avoid. Obviously this meetup cannot
take place in Dublin, but it might be nice if it was somewhere relatively
accessible to our Northern brethren. Eh... is there anywhere in Ireland
accessible from everywhere other than Dublin?

I actually think maybe something like going down to Dingle or some isolated
bunjo bit of the west could be fun. yes yes. alternatively, how about Cork,
Ireland's premier city. Or sunny Belfast.

And now I must go and eat my dinner. But before I go I would like to make
quite clear that I will sue for defamation of character the next person who
asserts that the Sunday Independent is my favourite newspaper.

bless you all,

DV