Sinister: Feeling's Believing

Lucy Alder lucyalder at xxx.com
Thu Oct 23 15:18:02 BST 2003

Have you ever lost music?  I mean, have you ever gone for days without
switching on the stereo because you couldn’t think of anything to play?
Did you get bored with it all?  I did.  For ages, I hadn’t had that
feeling.  That Feeling.  When you hear a song and run to put it on repeat
after a few bars because you know already that in three minutes’ time
you’ll want to hear it all over again.  When you dance around your room
knowing full well that you look a bit stupid but you don’t care that the
lights are on and the curtains are open and there’s a whole row of
tenements looking in on you.  When a record hits on something inside you
and it swells up in your chest and feels like it’s about to burst.  I
hadn’t felt it for months.  In spite of helping to run a club, DJing every
month, expecting people to dance to music when
 well, it just wasn’t doing
anything for me.  And I’d get home and I’d forget to unpack my CD player
and it’d sit in my living room cocooned in its polystyrene and cardboard
until I found the time to get it out again.  I should have been running to
unwrap it and play some more music as soon as I got it home, but I didn’t.
 And then something changed.

I think it started when I heard Stay Loose at Ally’s house.  Somebody had
managed to download it from somewhere.  When you haven’t had That Feeling
for a while, you don’t quite recognise it when it starts happening again.
And if you can’t take the music home with you and play it to death, it
doesn’t have the full effect.  So I heard Stay Loose a couple of times and
rather liked it and was kind of hopeful that the whole album would be just
as good.  Then I pretty much forgot about it for a while.

The next thing that happened was Steady Mike came to visit.  Now, I’m not
going to accuse Steady Mike of stirring up emotions in a girl, him being a
happily married man and all, but something happened that week.  It came to
a head in Borders, where I bemoaned the fact that, upon entering a record
shop, I could never remember what it was I’d intended to buy.  And then I
looked down at the racks and staring up at me was Jonathan Richman.  If it
was a fillum, he’d have flashed a smile and winked at me.  Just as
attention-grabbing was his big red Special Offer sticker.  And then I
noticed that he had a bonus CD with, amongst other things, six songs by
the Rubinoos!  And I remembered that both Richman and the Rubinoos were on
my wishlist and I took them home and played them and played them again and
again.

The following Friday was Winchester Club night.  Quite a lot of you were
there.  It was particularly nice to see people coming from a long way off,
like Robin Stout and the Rev Dirty.  I can’t really write about it
properly because remembering it makes me grin my face off because it was
such a great night.  I can’t tell you how wonderful the bands were, how
amazing it was that the Lucksmiths and the Aislers Set would want to come
and play for little old us, how we danced our socks off when Into The
Groove came on and how people kept coming up and telling me it was their
gig of the year?  I don’t think my descriptions could ever convey what it
felt like.  Feels like.  That Feeling is back and I hope it’s here to
stay.  It’ll at least extend to Saturday’s Camera Obscura gig and Sunday’s
Sodastream gig.  Good grief, four of my top five bands in the space of 10
days.  How is a girl to cope?

This has been quite a wussy post.  I will try for a knob gag next time.

Juicy Lucy

=====
The one, the only Glasgow Indie List!