Sinister: You're not getting any younger

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Mon Oct 27 22:04:33 GMT 2003

I’ve spent almost the last week in isolation, speaking
only to friends over the phone, or the occasional
passer-by member of my family. Mostly, my ears have
been listening to the nonsensical conversations of my
Sim family, who have been entertaining me. My family
consist of Barbie, Action Man, Ken and Sindy. Ken and
Sindy after some passion (despite Ken getting randy
some other females, and Sindy getting flirty with Bob
Newbie) recently decided to have a baby, Skipper, who
will grow into a child if they look after her properly
for three days, so they have been skiving work so as
not to miss her feeding times. Action Man meanwhile
has proposed marriage on at least four occasions to a
Katrina House lookalike, who said no, once because she
complained they don’t talk enough, and three times
because she was hungry. Action Man told her to leave,
and returned to his passion for painting. Barbie
meanwhile is working as a psychic for the police.

If you think that is sad, then spare a thought for one
poor nameless soul who named his Sim family after
members of Belle And Sebastian, and made Chris and
Isobel get it on.

Talking of Belle and Sebastian, last week I chanced
the opportunity to watch the new DVD with my
boyfriend. If the recent album was disappointing (and
it was, never mind what you think) then this was a
welcome treat. It was as much a pleasure as the first
time I really appreciated Tigermilk. The videos are
fantastic – my favourites being I Could Be Dreaming,
Lazy Line Painter Jane, and the Wrong Girl. The great
thing about those videos was that it was less of an
accessory to the music, like so many music videos tend
to be. I giggled thoroughly when Stuart did his angry
face, or when Stuart and Chris had a three-legged
chase of Lazy Line Painter Jane, or when the glove
puppet fox in the super hero costume shakes his wee
foxy head when posed with the line “Do you wanna do it
now?” or when baby Stevie emerged from the hospital.
My only question is, how on earth can you have bonus
bits on a DVD? That would suggest that you could buy
it without the bonus bits, for a smaller cost. But
that’s just a thought.

Still, the DVD was wonderful; it was like looking
through an old photo album or scrapbook of B&S best
moments.

It’s rather sad that October is almost over now,
although I’ve really enjoyed this autumn so far.
Hopefully it will lead to a winter fit for Christmas
card pictures of frosty and snowy scenes in wintry
sunshine.

I turned 25 recently*, and it started to make me
think. What was I thinking about? Oh, so many things.
I was thinking about what I have achieved, and what I
had wanted to achieve by the time I was 25. Most
people put their fulfilment on 30, but 30 always
seemed too far away. Now it is closer, and I realise
it’s ten years since I was a teenager, turning into an
indie kid of some description. I don’t feel as
differently as I thought I would, and things haven’t
progressed quite as I thought they might. I had a
career of glamour and luxury laid ahead for me in my
head at 15, and I’ve yet to find anything remotely
alluring about standing in photocopier rooms running
off copies of papers. I find some solace though in
knowing that not everyone gets it done by 25, (their
ambitions, not photocopying) and that actually, 25
isn’t as old as it could be. In fact, 40 doesn’t seem
as old as it used to anymore. Am I making excuses, or
have I become more realistic? Will I achieve my aims
in life, or am I destined to dream about them, and
when I actually try to achieve these things will I
realise that I’m not really cut out for them after
all? How disappointing that would be. Am I good enough
to get what I want, let alone motivated?

No doubt this email may seem naïve to those of you
older than I; it may also seem insulting. It may also
remind you of questions you had, and you’ll be able to
wistfully look back and remember with a little bit of
wisdom.

Why 25? Well, I think it is because there are so many
competitions and applications and opportunities that
say they are for young people, with an age cut off at
25. It feels somewhat cruel in a way, that I am no
longer considered a young person. It’s like being a
small fish in a big pond all over again  - I’m now in
a different demographic. Having said that, there are
few competitions, applications and opportunities I
wanted that were aimed specifically at this young age
group, so it is no great loss.

Yours

Elderberry

*my birthday in October is one of the reasons I enjoy
October, the other being the pleasant memories of mid
term breaks at school, and the start of a new term
with new pencils and books and jotters which always
appealed to the stationery freak in me.

=====