Sinister: popularity is a hallmark to mediocrity

Jonathan Skinner staralful at xxx.com
Tue Oct 28 18:53:34 GMT 2003

 It is nice to see that everyone is sick, i can't think straight, my head
 feels all blurry , can't breath right and on top of that i have a cold. I
 went into college yesterday JUST to go into a certain huge record store to
 buy the DVD for €20. I never even tried to get it in our local indie, they
 have a huge poster the catastrophic waitress but still haven't got the
 album. my theory is that they wait until the prices in virgin fall a bit ,
 go and buy up 10 copies then jack up the price. it is quite a good business
 to be in i think.
 So the dvd. i think my favourite piece is the STV documentary followed by i
 could be dreaming , especially the bit where the hand puppet is having a
bit
 of an ould chat with stuart. I think the reason that i like this dvd so
much
 is because it is the belle and sebastian i loved and grew up with. i first
 heard Lazy Line Painter Jane in 1997 i think , that would have made me 13.
 was just starting at secondary school and was highly influenced. My cousins
 had come down from dublin for the weekend and Jane, the elder one had just
 had it sent to her by her boyfriend in Glasgow. we spent the first night
 they were down just listening to it over and over again, we were entranced
 by it. It is hard actully to put into the words how much listening to that
 one cd influenced the way i developed as a young fella. But it did and i
 think the DVD is all about that era , when they were everybodies little
 secret, all belle and sebastian fans lived in a secret world where they
 thought they were the only ones.  when people asked "what music are you
 into" and you would shiftily respond "um belle and sebastian" to which
 people would mostly reply "who?". not that i have anything to worry about
 them now. yes they have changed but so have i . 7 years is a long time,
they
 have matured , as have i. but it is still nice to see them when they were
 all bright eyed and bushy tailed. a bit like looking at a photoalbum of
when
you and your friends weren't camera shy and arsing around in front of it.
 I must put out a call. i mentioned in my last post that i and another
 sinister were coming to london for the dec 3rd gig. i was wondering if
there
 were any meetups afoot, or maybe a foot and half. i know it will be cold
and
 not picnic weather but i'm sure there are bars that could be retired to
 before or after the gig. just a thought
 right i am off to have a lemsip then go and listen a lecture on the
delights
 of renainssence english poetry, don't wait up
 love etc etc and so forth
 jnthn