Sinister: The world is quiet here...

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Wed Oct 29 17:10:16 GMT 2003

Atlanta Setlist:

Expectations
Step Into My Office, Baby
Wrapped Up In Books
Lord Anthony
I'm A Cuckoo
Women's Realm
Travelling Light (which is *not* on the album, though it was on advance
promo copies. At the Durham show they announced it as a "Future B-Side.)
Beautiful
You're Just A Baby
An instrumental from Mick Cooke which sounded like a surf tune
The Stars Of Track and Field
You Don't Send Me
Asleep On A Sunbeam
String Bean Jean
If You Find Yourself Caught In Love
Dog On Wheels
Judy and The Dream of Horses
Roy Walker
Sleep The Clock Around
Encore: Get me away from here, i'm dying

I wrote down the Durham setlist but now I can't find it so perhaps someone
else will come through with that. It was a lot more similar to their first
show which was kind of disappointing (as in the past they've been fairly
different). They played Dirty Dream #2 instead of String Bean Jean, Slow
Graffitti instead of Lord Anthony, Dear Catastrophe Waitress, Mike Piazza,
and then She's Just A Baby For The Encore. Instead of Mick Cooke's
instrumental, they had a guy from the audience come up and sing Like Dylan
In The Movies which was the most comical Belle & Sebastian moment which I've
ever experienced. He looked as if any moment he was going to dive off of the
stage into the audience to crowd surf. Afterwards, Chris Geddes admitted
that he meant that he had wanted someone from the audience to come up and
sing a NON b&s song - like the Rolling Stones. At which point the audience
tried to get Beans to sing a non B&S song. It didn't happen. He only teased
us about how the only song he knew was "Santa Goes To The Ghetto." It was
again requested when there were technical difficulties with the drum set but
alas we were denied once again.

At the Atlanta show there were a lot of requests for "Pocketbook Angels" and
later Stuart Murdoch said those who shouted out for it were "cheeky devils".
He then seemed kind of bitter that his own record label would release a
bootleg of it and said something to the effect that now they're never going
to release it.

Slumber Party opened both nights and weren't so fantastic. The drummer
looked as if she were auditioning for a part in Lost In Translation. You
could almost see her muttering, "I'm lost. I'm confused. What's the point in
- snare to the top hat to the drum - life?" The lead singer has to be a
former president of her high school's Future Christian Athletes club who
makes her own shirts and the bass player looked as if she was about to ditch
her girls at any second to break out into some angry Sleater Kinneyesque
stylings. If that ensemble weren't depressing enough, the lameness of their
lyrics pushed them over the edge:

Me: Did she just sing, "At night, I like to go to bed"?
Jay: Well, ya know, some people do.

I kept wishing we could just tuck them in already and call it quits.

However, then Belle and Sebby came on and they were fantastic. A lot better
than when I've seen them previously even though there were a couple of
technical difficulties at each show. At the Atlanta show, Stuart said that
he could hear a radio station coming through and there was a woman with a
breathy voice singing so he was going to then sing the next song in his
imitation of her. (I believe it was Stars of Track & Field). Very funny. He
also didn't do a request shouted out because he said he was having trouble
with his throat and so wasn't doing some of the songs which required him to
break out the high voice. However, they played Slow Graffiti at Durham and
it was absolutely beautiful. It alone made the show.

Massive thanks to both Jays for letting me crash at their place and for
going to the show, even if Jayward ditched me for an indie scarf wearing
skank and left me to watch the show alone while standing next to a couple of
girls who mistook convulsing spastically for dancing and behind a lass who
mistook a cloche as something which should be worn with a zebra print design
and made her look like Encyclopedia Brown. He's still the most darling boy
ever.

GayJay was a complete doll and let me sit in on the interview that he did
with part of the band which was so much fun. We were hoping to get to talk
to them for about 15 minutes but we chatted with Richard Colburn for close
to an hour (though only 17 minutes of that was recorded) and it was the only
interview they did. It was aired unedited last night on WXDU
(http://www.wxdu.org/). I have to wonder if you can hear me choking in the
background when Jay asked about why there are no masturbation references in
the latest releases. Richard Colburn is so adorable though. How did I not
notice him before? He's so nice and gingery.

Um, the meatup was a lot of fun as well even though there was more meat than
meet. Lots of Chapel Hill hipsters but not so many sinisters. It was a cozy
little cookout and seemed very suburban - I felt as if I should be there
with my husband named Mitch or something. I missed Damon but otherwise it
ruled - and not just because I ended up back in Jay's bedroom with a cute
boy named Ben and a copy of The Basic Eight either.

xo,
Ll