Sinister: San Francisco Football Game with Stuart

Ian Rivamonte irivamon at xxx.com
Mon Sep 1 05:50:20 BST 2003

Before I start telling y'all about the football game, an apology on my part.

I instructed my brother to e-mail the list using my e-mail account the
details of the S.F. Football Game with Stuart today.  Unfortunately, I guess
it didn't post to the List.  Regardless (for reasons explained below) the
notice was extremely short and circumstances were just out of my control.

So the story begins . . .

I was helping a couple of friends move house in Downtown San Francisco
starting at 7am.  Yeah, imagine driving a 10 passenger Suburban SUV with
loads of stuff in Downtown San Francisco and then trying to find parking.
Not fun.  At around 12pm, we were all tired and sweaty and opted for a quick
bite at the local California Pizza Kitchen (CPK for you hip in the lingo) on
Geary St. in Downtown.

As we were walking, my friend said to me, "Hey!  That's Stuart!"  I'm like,
"Huh?  What?  Where?  Who?  What?  Huh?"  It's funny that she mentioned that
because I just told her a few hours ago how I wanted to play football with
Stuart and gather people up but to no avail.  So, I did what came naturally
. . . I yelled out his name in the hopes of him turning around.  So, I
yelled "Stuart!" and he turned around and I waved "Hi!"  And he waved "Hi"
back and approached us.  We talked for a little bit and then I asked, "So,
do you still want to play football today?"  And he got all excited, "Yeah!
How about at 2 today?"  Well, we eventually settled for 4:30 because we were
all still moving and that was the earliest time possible.  I gave Stuart my
phone number and I told him to meet us at Golden Gate Park at the football
field near the windmill.

So, I ate, I called everyone in my cell phone list, and I text messaged my
brother instructing him to e-mail the List for the details.  It was around
1:30 pm by this time, and I had no access to a computer.

So, at around 3pm, I saw Stuart again.  This time, he was standing at the
intersection with his more sporty outfit on and I believe he was carrying a
football with him.  That's when I knew he was for real!

After returning the car, I took a cab to my apartment and dressed up in my
football gear.  My friends were updating me saying, "There's nobody here.
The soccer fields are closed.  And there's no Stuart."  This is at 4:45pm.
2 of my friends left, and the only two left were Tom and Jason.  I told them
to wait there for me so I can at least say hi to them.  I arrived at the
fields close to 5pm, called Jason again and he says, "Yeah, we're here at
the fields and Stuart is here!"  I'm like, "SHIT!!"  So, I ran like the wind
and sure enough, Stuart was there ready to play.

I apologized to him and told him that because of the short notice, there was
no way for me to gather the troops and play.  Instead, the four of us, me,
Stuart, Jason, and Tom, decided to look for a football game.  I opted to
drive and all four of us were snug in my Jetta and we were looking for a
football game.

We eventually found one near the grass fields on 19th Ave.  A bunch of
international kids were having a bar-b-q and we decided to ask them if they
wanted to play.  They did and it turned into a 4-4 game.  Team B&S v.
International Kids.

The International Kids got off to a fast start, scoring 2 goals despite the
aggressive defense the four of us took on.  We needed to regroup so we did.
In a very elegant play, I kicked the ball to Jason, who kicked it to Tom,
who then kicked a surging Stuart who then kicked the ball into the goal!
Score one for Team B&S!  2-1 International Kids at that point.

The game was played tough with Stuart slipping and getting hit in the head
with the ball a couple of times.  We eventually got to a 4-4 tie when we
decided that first one to 6 wins.  Well, International Kids scored a quick
5th goal and they scored another past my lunging legs.  International Kids
6, Team B&S 4.

It was a fun game and we all got a group picture with Team B&S and the
International Kids.  I will post the link when I get a chance.

Afterwards, we all got back in my car and my two other friends, Meriza and
Jamie, found us and squeezed in.  They said hello to Stuart.  After dropping
everyone off, I drove Stuart to his friend's house on the other side of
Kezar Stadium.  We talked about a lot of stuff and it was so awesome!

Stuart on San Francisco: "I love San Francisco!  My favourite city in the
U.S."

Stuart on KCRW's DJ saying that Belle & Sebastian are members of the band:
"I was grumpy that day because the headphones weren't working.  I didn't
notice that he said that.  That's why I asked Stevie to do the talking."

Being the maniac that I am, I asked Stuart to say hello to my friend Elaine
via mobile.  I dialed up her number and told Elaine, "Hey, someone wants to
talk to you!"  And then Stuart talked, "Hello Elaine.  This is Stuart
Murdoch of Belle & Sebastian.  How are you?  How's the weather in L.A.?"

So, yeah.  I dropped him off.  Shook his hand.  Thanked him for a wonderful
game.  He thanked me for a wonderful game.  Now he's doing a Pub Quiz at
Berkeley.  Probably the Albatross.  I'm here resting my sore body from the
move and the game.

Thanks for reading!  Photos to follow (hopefully).

Cheers,
Ian