Sinister: I went under the covers with a torch

Joanne Hill jlhill81 at xxx.com
Fri Sep 5 15:55:36 BST 2003

Long time no speak, Sinister...on my part at least. I've been scared off
posting for months, deciding that nothing I could say would be of interest.
I got lured away to the "other B&S list". But I've been encouraged to come
out of hiding, talking to Heather and Amy. I kind of have a reason to post
this time, it's only very remotely Belle and Seb related, and has to do with
my new clubnight which is starting, in Macclesfield, on 26th September. It's
called Dolly Mixtures and will feature indie, soul, psych, punk and
miscelaneous other items from the 60s onwards. I'm really pleased I've
managed to get this sorted out, if it's successful the club will have me
back and it'll be a regular thing. It's at a place called 'That Bar'. It
would be great to see any of you, but I doubt that will happen.

It's been a summer wasted. I've spent my time reading books on the Canadian
film industry and listening to people rant about Nickelback and Shania Twain
and other bad things to come from the True North (Canadian pop culture
dissertation...10,000 words...I haven't left Canada behind yet despite five
months back home), looking out for nice boys and not really finding many
(although it is, of course, the quality not the quantity thats counts), and
dreaming of Toronto. I miss the bity city rush and always having something
to do, or being able to find something to do on an empty day. I miss
streetcars and tall shiny buildings and cheap Canadian beer. I even miss the
vain mods, with their Fred Perry shirts and drainpipes, or go go boots and
bum-skimming dresses. But only because wherever they go, good music is bound
to follow. A friend who also went over there says we have to go back when we
finish uni, and live there for a bit. It looks likely. But in the meantime
I've got my 4th year to contend with, and it will be much fun.

I was at the Interpol gig last month at Manchester Academy, I didn't see any
of you there, though I had on my yellow B&S badge, in hope. I did see a boy
who looked very like the Sergeant Pepper's era John Lennon. Franz Ferdinand
were the support, their music was very funny and danceable, I'll certainly
hunt their album down when it comes out.

Thats enough from me. Hello to Jason and Dirty Vicar and anyone else I've
ever spoken to.

Joanne