Sinister: I'm a Cuckoo - Exclusive!!

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Wed Sep 17 11:59:39 BST 2003

LIES
====

I was behind the skirting board, tap-dancing in my little blue shoes, when
the sparrow in the trilby hat appeared at my mousehole.

He said to me, "Psst! Are you a fan of DICKYWUSS??"
I said, "Well, to be honest, I'm sure you're very nice, but we've only just
met."
He said, "No, stupid mouse, the new Belle and Sebastian album. I can sell
you some lyrics if you want them."
I said, "Oh, well, okay then. What do you want for them?"
He said, "Acorns."
So I gave him some acorns and he went away. Sparrows are odd, sometimes.

The album makes so much sense now I can understand the lyrics properly. For
instance, I thought I'm a Cuckoo was all about Thin Lizzy, but in fact it
turns out it's not at all. Well, see for yourselves.

++++++++++++
I'm a Cuckoo
++++++++++++

I'm a postman,
I'm a postman,
I hear your husband's in Morocco.
It's half past eight,
I'm running through your gate,
I've got a firm grip on your knocker.

I'm a milkman,
I'm a milkman,
We'll have white tea in two mugs.
Your kettle steams,
I've got full cream,
It's time to get out your jugs.

instrumental: sound of a cuckoo being spun on a record player at 45 rpm,
while Stuart reads a passage from "Tractors Monthly".

Oh dear here comes the vicar,
I feel like such a sinner.
Oh dear here comes the vicar,
I think I'll have chips for dinner.

instrumental: sound of a starling being spun on a record player at 78 rpm,
while Stuart reads a passage from "Camping and Caravaning Magazine".

I'm a cuckoo,
I'm a cuckoo,
I'm in your nest, eating your bread.
I'm a sinner,
I'm a cheater,
I'm in your wife's half of the bed.

+++++

So finally Stuart comes clean about his past career in the "Confessions"
films. I suppose, like Dale Winton, it had to come out, eventually. It's a
good song, though, really making the most of the band's new Industrial
Techno style. Not too sure about those instrumentals, mind. I blame Trevor
Horn.
+++

TRUTH
=====

Welcome to Emily and Tsugi. Emily obviously realises that Sinister's main
function is to meet boys and girls with biscuit crumbs in their jumpers in
order to snog them. If you want to snog some boys or girls, you may want to
go and have a look here: http://www.missprint.org/sinister/crush.html . Oh
look! I got a crush! I wonder who it could be????????

Alternatively, if the List Crush is as much use as a brown banana, you might
want to type "Ken Chu" and "girlfriend" into a search engine. That usually
does the trick for me.

Mark and Terry said nice things about me. Thanks, it's much better than a
crush, you know. :)

Personally, I'm holding back with any proper discussion of the new album
until it actually comes out, whereupon, like an elephant's sneeze, I'll
shoot forth a ten page comprehensive song-by-song review. Well I might;
we'll see. Better wear your rainhats, just in case.

Robin x

ps: Everyone should buy the new Camera Obscura album, cos it's ace, and
everyone should go and see them on tour, too, and everyone who does should
try to sneak a look up the bassist's kilt.

pps: Dirty Vicar, I'm thinking of seeing the Aislers Set in Glasgow, too,
although I'm being a little half-arsed about it. They're amazing. You'll
probably like them more after seeing them live, too.