Sinister: le ping pong

robin stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Sat Sep 20 12:26:40 BST 2003

Hullo folks,

I finally got a cine film back from the developers that I'd been meaning to
get developed for ages, and half of it seems to be of Archel's brighton
picnic earlier in the year, with Mark and Ken running towards the sea,
trying not to get wet, then running away like a couple of nancy boys.
Unfortunately, neither of them actually fell in this time, but if I splice
the frames cleverly I can make them do a funny dance.

On Radio 4 on Thursday morning there was a small feature about how there are
so few British singers that sing with their own accents, preferring to put
on a faux american one instead. Their example of a band that does this was
the Rolling Stones, and their example of one that doesn't was the
Proclaimers*, who they had on as special star guests. Now, just before this
came on the radio I'd been listening to Camera Obscura's** amazing
Underacheivers Please Try Harder and wondering whether "I should be
suspended from class" really does rhyme with "I don't know my elbow from my
arse". And then I began to wonder about Struan's voice on Stay Loose, with
his "stalks of wilting grarse". I decided that he is an accent traitor. I
think we should send Craig, Charlie and Cuthbert Proclaimer around to his
house to stamp on his toy tractor. That'll teach him.

A few random things that are in my head right now:

1. The Duke is spot on about In The Country and Wrapped Up In Books.

2. Does anyone know if Mick Cooke really wrote You Don't Send Me?

3. Why did John Sullivan never write a spin-off from Only Fools and Horses
called "Denzil"? Such a wasted opportunity.

4. I wonder who gave me *another* list crush?

5. I wonder if it was Ian Anscombe..

6. Where did I put my glasses?

7. Oh, there they are!

Robin x

* The Proclaimers' new album is OUT NOW!! They like their girls with
glasses! http://www.proclaimers.co.uk/
** Camera Obscura's new album is OUT NOW!! They like their girls with
glasses! http://www.camera-obscura.net/