Sinister: when you're 21 you're no fun

Genevieve Wesley jiffy_popper at xxx.com
Mon Sep 22 20:26:10 BST 2003

A ChristoperLeonard post! That makes my heart feel happy. There have been
some good posts. I want more travel narratives from The Pinefox though.

I have a new kitten fresh from the barn! Despite being straight out of one
of those "Hang in there!" posters he's not twee. His momma killed a weasel!
I don't know what to name him though.

So Belle and Sebastian have a new album coming out. There is something about
discovering a band at a certain age, when the band themselves are beginning,
and following them throughout that makes you loyal. I have not experienced
this with other bands. I like this quotation: "Time is the enemy of all
lovers. Obsession has a life of its own: the object, however irreplaceable
and particular it seems, can change, though it is in the nature of obsession
not to recognize that."
Of course, all these glowing reviews are great. It seems like it has been a
while since there has been this kind of anticipation for a new album, so now
I am looking forward to it even more. I like the photo on the amazon site
that someone posted but I don't think this is the photo they have decided? I
would like to think that Struan has empathy for waitresses. Ugh, scrambled
eggs on your tights, in your hair and sore feet. I only lasted two months.

I love the goldenness of September. That nice start to the year when
notebooks are still tidy and you haven't been swallowed up by your own
procrastinating. I was thinking of YOU in late August. As the Duke reminded
me: (look in the archives if you¹re a youngster, or in the deepest recesses
of your memories if you¹re a Sinister ŒOriginal¹ ­ for which read Œold
git¹). A good thing about Sinister, it is strange...the people I have known
in school, all those proms etc and those couples have broken up. On this
list it is the opposite. There are more marriages or am I just exaggerating?
It is a strange thing to see the two separate voices on the internet, and
then...
It only makes me a tiny tiny bit bittersweet, more to do with the inevitable
passing of time, (or maybe the feeling of being passed by). I can't help but
measure myself not by Jan 1sts but by summers. This will be my second time
studying "Leda and The Swan" being on Sinister. I am in this lovely poetry
class this year where we are supposed to bake and bring in treats. I am
dying to share "My Beloved Compares Herself to a Pint of Stout" trademark
Sinister/poetryplace2. This reminds me, did someone kill the parrot? He was
flying around for a while there, but sort of disappeared.

It's funny you know, we were out at this little club and they actually
played Me and The Major. It was no Winchester but there was a girl in a
pleated skirt, knee socks and heavy glasses dancing like crazy and mouthing
the words. Not a big deal but in a dreary little government town it's all
still a bit exotic. And it just seemed a nice little moment with the
anticipation of new album and tour.

Ree wrote:
belle & sebastian in dee-troit Again?! i imagine the kids
will pull together an after-party again or something, but if anyone wants to
do anything
else, you know, i'll organize.

I will be going to the Toronto show but I am not sure about Detroit. I don't
know if I will have transportation to get across the border. Are there any
on here that will be going to both? In 2002 it was a whirlwind trip of 4
cities! That Detroit after party was a nice taste of glamour. Even if I just
leaned against the wall, perma-flustered. Hey! Dancing Twins, where are you?
Is Ken returning? He can attempt to dance-lure Belfast Bob again.

I am supposed to be reading The Faerie Queene so I suppose I should get back
to that. There's not many faeries at all now is there? No orphan Honeys in
tattered gowns being locked in barns with deadbolts ominously sliding shut.

xoxo Genevieve

p.s.
I think Keith has taken the starring role of The OC and not told us.