Sinister: Bound for Bangladesh

Amy Skelton borokitty at xxx.com
Tue Sep 23 14:35:33 BST 2003

Dear Sinister,

I know over the past couple of years that I've been on the list I've barely
posted but that doesn't mean I don't love you....

BOUND FOR BANGLADESH

Anyway, I'm due to fly out to Bangladesh in the next week and I'm very
excited!! I've got a dream one-year internship working on water/sanitation
projects throughout the country (something that's been on my long list of
things I want to do with my life for a while now).

The doing something pretty while you can that Laurel mentioned doesn't just
hold out for personal relationships (although I understand that one very
well - my mother died when I was sixteen) but also for all the times when
you say or think 'I want to do that/visit there.......! DO IT NOW!!

When it comes to visiting countries I've got a long list to go but hey I'm
only a young pup and I'm doing things as fast as I can.

I used the same subject title when emailing a friend and he said it sounded
like I was participating in a bondage marathon for my fundraising. I mean
what kind of girl does he take me for?

In reality, as part of my fundraising for VSO (the lovely people making my
placement possible) I managed to strike something else off my list -
skydiving. I tried to think of a way to describe the feeling from this and
give it justice but all I can say is - try it for yourself...

STAYING IN SOUTH ASIA

If anyone happens to be passing through Dhaka in the next year and needs
somewhere to kip then get in touch. A male friend and I have got an
arrangement (no guffaws please) of catering for our opposite sex friends
accom wise. It's part of our damage limitation on getting bits of carrots
thrown at us etc.

So, is anyone else going to be in the South Asia region? I know Corduroy Boy
formerly of this parish is in Calcutta as we speak but with the amount of
people on this list is there a chance of some more???

SCARBOROUGH FAIR AND MEET UPS

I still hold the Scarborough gig dear in my heart. Although it was weird
that the previous act I had seen there was The Grumbleweeds (dodgy but funny
cabaret act aimed at families on holiday) when I was a v. young girl.

Although I was already listening to B & S and knew about Sinister I never
got my motivation to subscribe until fate sat me next to Big Stu at the gig
and he managed to convince me that it was a great place to be.
How right he was.

The people I've met at meet-ups in Manchester and Glasto  - you're
brilliant! I am more of a face-to-face person rather than saying too much on
posts. Off-list posts rock too. The more people are seeing the email the
less personal I get. That's why I have the upmost respect for those of you
that do feel comfortable with posting personal stuff to Sinister.
A couple of months ago a newbie said she didn't find anyone interesting here
and then she left. I beg to differ and....
WOOPS sounds like I'm about to start discussing the list on the list so I'll
go on a tangent and sign off.

Hey you other lurkers -fair enough if you don't feel like posting but I urge
you to go to meet-ups when possible. You will be very pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully see some of you at Offbeat tonight. I've decided to hot foot it
down from Middlesbrough this evening. I was supposed to be flying out
tomorrow but the departure date has been put back.

DESERT ISLAND DISCS AND NEW ALBUM

When packing I couldn't decide what to take/leave out so I'm leaving
everything bar one compilation that I won on Phil Jupitus' breakfast show.
It's got The Flaming Lips, Violent Femmes etc. on it and it's great. I've
been holding off listening to too much of the album so that it is a nice
surprise when it finally turns up in the post at Dhaka.

Didn't I say I was going....
Well I am this time.

Very poor readability comes from typing in a public library with no toilet
facilities - I can't concentrate!

Love,

Amy Skelton