Sinister: I'll admit today I've gone too far

Mark Hester mark.hester at xxx.com
Mon Sep 29 14:55:05 BST 2003

ok, so I've just booked my ticket for the Astoria gig on Friday, 5th December
and I've  suddenly realised that this will be the centralest of Central London
gigs I've ever been to, that's if you don't count the dreadful Capital Radio
thing at the Hippodrome I went to when I was fifteen with Jaki Graham and
Curiosity Killed the Cat (aargh!).

The Astoria misspellt the band's name tho:

http://www.carlinglive.com/venue_content/carling_astoria.htmlnogig?todo=search&genre=general&ev=&tp=&sb_date=29%2F9%2F2003&date_field=&page=6&recs=10&sortorder=&id_venue=67585#

Tsk!

I think I might be considered odd.  I'm certainly considered odd in the office.
Over lunch we were teasing one of my colleagues who owns a Ford Orion, of which
he is intensely proud.  His trusty steed has not been too well of late and as he
enquired, trembling, about its state of health at the garage over his mobile
phone, we had a little debate about whether the Orion is a bloke's car or a
girl's car.  I came to the conclusion that hatchbacks are bloke's cars and
saloons are girl's cars as it is simply the pockets versus handbags thing writ
large.  I then had to suffer the indignity of having everyone else at table
sidle away from me nervously, with worried looks on their faces.

No, I think I'm weird for other reasons too.  One big reason is that I have
never fully endorsed the whole mp3 downloading thing.  Not for any legalistic or
moral reasons, but simply because I actually enjoy going to a shop and
purchasing something tangible and taking it home in anticipation.  So I'll be
waiting for the proper release date of DICKYWUSS.  In the days leading up to its
release, I have begun to listen to all the other albums in turn and I suppose
this leads me to belatedly add my contribution to the FISHYCLAP/TWATTYBUS
debate.  I don't actually believe FISHYCLAP to be an inferior album at all.  I
think it's all to do with the ordering of the tracks.  My favourites are at the
beginning (I Fought in a War and the Model) and the end (There's Too Much Love).
 ON TWATTYBUS however the gems are very much interspersed with the weaker songs.
 Incidentally, I wasn't too keen on Simple Things when it first came out, for
some reason and now I absolutely adore it!  I'm always impressed when songs
clock in at less than two minutes and are *still* wonderful....it seems like the
epitome of the songwriter's art to have made a statement in less than the time
that it takes some people to even get started.  I wonder whether it was a trick
picked up from Lawrence, as another song which is so brief yet so complete is
Felt's How Spook Got Her Man from Pictorial Jackson Review.  I wonder what
happened to Mick Bund?  Bassist on that album, co-writer of St. Etienne's Marble
Lions and then nothing, so far as I can tell.

Cheers Dafyd, for pointing out what time the footie starts,  I had visions of a
later kick off and people having to divide their loyalties, hmmmm.  Fortunately
not.  You neglected to mention that http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=5358
features SARAH as well....what has the poor girl ever done to you ;).

Yours (oddly),
Mark.

For up-to-the-minute music news, reviews and specials visit
http://www.nme.com

Get free e-mail (anyname at nme.com) now at http://www.nmemail.com

The sender of this e-mail is NOT an employee or associate of NME,
nme.com or any other IPC magazine.