Sinister: Wife Swap anyone?

Sarah Garrett Sonner sarahsonnic at xxx.com
Tue Sep 30 12:11:49 BST 2003

Whatup.

Astute viewers of the UK's channel 4 in the past week
or so will have noticed that the music in the ad for
tonight's episode of "Wife Swap" is none other than
the instrumental bit and whistling of TBWTAS. I am
now tempted to watch. Does TV sampling pay anything
worthwhile? I hope it throws some bling the band's
way.

Mr Stout made a request for reviews of the new album
to come out of the closet. I hesitate to admit, but
I've heard it, and the first time I played it I put it
on while I was doing something else, and then ended up
sitting on the coffee table with elbows on knees while
it played out, the something else forgotten for the
time being while I listened. The
new direction others remarked on in the style evokes
some kind of vague childhood memory of mine involving
dusty radios and riding in cars with vinyl seats,
passing kudzu on the side of the highway at 70 mph. A
time before neon colors were invented. Concretely
though, "Stay Loose" reminds me heavily of David
Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes." This is a good thing,
I think, but if your tastes run not to earlyish Bowie,
don't fear. There have been lots of songs about
baseball, but "Piazza, New York Catcher" has to be the
best song about baseball ever. I am in love with it.
There are others on there that I love slightly (but
only slightly!) less, but nothing yet that stays with
me like that one.

Thanks to David Hewitt for articulating that peculiar
angst felt by us middle-ish children of the list. I
hope everyone's doing alright out there, however aged
you are. I wonder if any arab straps will appear on
Wife Swap tonight.

xox
 sgs

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Rachel Fruitloop-Apps!