Sinister: its just my opinion, and, what do i know...

idleberry idleberry at xxx.com
Tue Sep 30 23:09:28 BST 2003

Hey sinister,

Robin Stout cast the first dare/ stone:
I think people should start sending in reviews of the
new album. Go on, it's not long till it's released..

The new album huh?

I think I'm going to make myself unpopular here, and
say I don't like DCW.

A few points to note:

I'm not looking for Tigermilk part 5. This has been
suggested, and I think it is a bit lame for anyone to
dismiss my opinion by suggesting that's why I don't
like it.

It seems to be a natural assumption that not
liking the latest album means that you want old skool
B&S back. Not true. I understand that music moves on,
I just don't like this chosen route. Not once have I
reminiced and wanted Tigermilk or IYFS or TBWTAS back.
I loved those for what they were.

I think there have been much better albums released of
late. The argument that "don't compare it to their
previous work, compare it to what else is around"
doesn't really wash when you have bands around like
the Aislers Set and Camera Obscura, who can release an
album that I think, is pretty bloody good.

I just can't get into the new album at all. To me, it
sounds like all the half-arsed ideas that never made
it onto the previous B&S releases have been shown the
light of day, and released, and this isn't a reference
to Lord Anthony, which I am not keen on.

I fail to find anything remotely genius about "I'm a
Cuckoo". I can imagine Stuart, sitting with notebook
in hand on a park bench in Glasgow, pondering to
himself...
"cuckoo.. What ryhmes with cuckoo? poo, loo, mew,
queue, two, too, dew, due, new, flu...
thin-lizzy-oh..! yes! Thin Lizzy Oh! Torquay-oh!
that'll do!"

The lyrics, in my opinion, are weak. I don't like
them. They used to write with sharpened wit, with
intelligence. The innuendo used to be so much more
subtle, and I enjoyed that. Yes, I am slightly talking
about old-skool B&S, but it's not just old B&S that
gave me that kick - it's something I find fundemental
to my enjoyment of a song, be it B&S or any band that
I listen to regularly. I'm hard to please, I know.

There isn't anything that really catches my attention
with the new album. I like Piazza, New York Catcher.
The sort of albums I enjoy though tend to have more
than one or two good songs. A good album, for me, is
one that has several good songs, and perhaps a small
minority of crap ones.

I think the latest album is a little too sugary, a
little overbaked, and a little egotisical. The songs ,
in my opinion, feel effortless, but rather than being
casual and organic, they feel more like there has no
interest at challenging their ablities to create a
good song. It's a lazy album, as if half a dozen ideas
have been randomly thrown into the album, and nobody
bothered to think about it or listen.

In an interview*, the link of which was recently
posted by Richard Lander, Stuart said "I just got this
image in my mind of a cake, of writing songs being
like baking a cake. The autobiographical part of
things is like the flour, and the romance side of
things and the fantasy part are like the sugar and
eggs."

If that is the case, then this surely, has to be a
fairy cake - too much sugar, too much colour and too
many preservatives. It's rather too sickly to listen
to more than a few times, too saccharine. I think it
sounds... I dunno.. A little childish, a little
infantile with the lyrics, and a little sugary with
the over production. Its been completely over baked.

There.

Hate me.

Love
idles