Sinister: Ridicule is nothing to be scared of!

Gillian Kirby the_sad_witch at xxx.com
Wed Apr 7 22:59:47 BST 2004

There is Lamchop playing on Radio 2, which makes me
feel like emailing people. Last week, I was sat at
home feeling glum because I was about to turn 22 and
all my friends had gone on hiliday and nothing
exciting was happening...then two exciting things
happened all at once...

1. I went to see the Station Agent, which is ace, then
went for a walk near a primary school where I saw a
young boy sat on the edge of the football field
wearing a traffic cone on his head...until two bolshie
young ladies ran up to him, ripped it off his head and
sneered. Our hero promptly picked it up, popped it
back on and calmly continued to pretend to be a
wizard. But that wasn't the exciting thing (although I
also saw a Red Admiral which was pretty cool...) What
happened was this..I was feeling nostalgic about
college, a time when I felt vaguely clever and had an
idea of what to do with my life, and remembered a
moment during my final year, in the autumn. A lot of
bad things happened then, which I can't be bothered to
explain, but suffice to say I was listening to Jeff
Buckley a lot and certainly not enough Echo and the
Bunnymen. I bumped into a vague person, who I knew
from being the only othe r indie person in my school
and as far as I knew back then, maybe even the world,
but somehow we didn't become friends. Unfortunately, I
bumped into him while crying on a bench in the beer
gardenn, and he kindly chatted to me for a while,
telling me I shouldn't be upset and giving me good
advice which I've forgotten now :) as well as slagging
off the music industry. So I was vaguely (I'm very
vague at the moment)wondering what happened to him,
when I opened the local paper and saw an article about
a student who was going to Africa for an education
mission...and it was the same young man. So I'm
thinking about the serendipity and wondering whether
to drop him a note thanking him for being so nice on a
night he probably doesn't remember...

2. I filled out a job application out of boredom and
unemploymentm, anbd they contacted me the next day to
go down to London for an interview...not only is this
A Sign, but also means I get to go to9 another city
for a few days, which is my patented cure for the mean
reds...I would've done it months ago had I anyone to
visit :) So I shall have to leave behind my Cheers
watching, writing my Rubbish Novel and general
mooching and go and tell some stranger why I'm so
great. Anbd as I haven't been there for a while, I
also plan to wear interesting hats and look round art
galleries and Foyles. Hurrah!

Suddenly, the whole world is opening up like a
beautiful vagina....

...hey, if Woody can say it, so can I.

-gillian

(www.livejournal.com/users/~mippy)

=====
'i have a tendency to say hey do you remember that moment we shared in 1988,that was great, hey! 1988 was great'-milky wimpshake, yeah, it's true