Sinister: i went out in the rain, suddenly everything changed

miss lou daisygreenlight at xxx.com
Fri Apr 9 22:24:38 BST 2004

hello, sinister.

i have been wasting time at work, hoping the sound of
typing floating from betwixt my cubicle walls will
convice the other admins that i am, in fact, still
working on creating the most masterful and decidedly
toughest project grading scale in the history of the
architecture college for the dean's graduate class.

in reality, i finished at least twenty minutes ago, at
which time i poked about friendster and then decided i
might well poke my head out of the old sinister
lurkers' den and say hello, how are you, how have you
been and how many more of you are there these days.

so. there you have it.

and because most sinister posts start off socially
enough and rapidly decline into self-observation or
self-promotion or self-indulgence or what have you, i
will follow the traditional grain with a lou-update,
for which i am certain most of you have been
positively jonesing, slapping the sides of your
monitors and laptops and heads and whatnot when you
found that, day after wretched day, i had left you in
the dark.

rest now. relax. settle in. i am here.

***

so what does a formerly rabidly sinister girl do when
she drops off for a while? well, not only does she
leave her fairweather sinis behind, she ditches
everyone.

i have adopted a bit of a hermit style, really. after
changing jobs and running entirely, completely,
totally out of money, i borrowed some from my parents,
bought a few loaves of bread and some cheese, moved
and set up shop once again on my own, but this time
with a typewriter.

it sounds more romantic that way. the truth is, my
typewriter ran out of ribbon a while back, and i've
mostly been lazing around watching american idol
between jobs and classes and the occasional bar jaunt
or show.

but. no more!

true, i have grown quite tired of the state i am in,
that being nebraska. it's funny when you realize, one
day, you have grown up enough to know very
specifically what you don't want anymore, and why.
once this occurs, the next thing you do is begin
identifying that which you want, and in doing so, i
came up with a few ideas. namely, a new scene,
stability and (an old ideal), love.

then, i made a graduation plan. and a possible job
plan. and then i sent out a resume and cover letter
and sat back into my pillows, trying to decide if the
american idol pen salesman should get my vote or not.

***

then a funnier thing happened. the day after i sent my
resume and cover letter, i got a response. a positive
one. and in three days i replanned all my plans and
admitted to myself that, if all goes well, getting two
out of three life desires ain't bad at all.

i get:

*a new scene (nay, a new state!)
*love (the outlook on that is promising)

stability will be hard to come by, what with an unpaid
internship in san diego, but then, i'll be right there
next to the ocean, watching the sunset, wishing i
could have gotten there in time to have trucked it to
coachella to have seen b&s (<--content).

***

so. i am probably going to move to california, then. i
have an interview next week, and then i would plant
myself there in mid-may.

of course, i think i shall meet some other
sinisterites there, right?

good. and i hope they'll have ideas about where a girl
can stay for not much money at all.

love and all that,

lou.

=====