Sinister: london picnic THIS WEEKEND...and other things..

ian hobart at xxx.uk
Wed Apr 14 21:34:14 BST 2004

(brief summary - mentions picnic.  at length.  plugs tigermilking,
replies to some posts on list.  not many, though.  doesn't mention
belle and sebastian except in passing.  passing what?  who knows??

read it anyway.  go on, i dare you!)

hello there my little mangos of joy,

i do hope you're all feeling lovely, and beautiful and more splendidly
funky than you ever thought you could.

phew, that's an introduction done.  quite a nice one.  and i didn't
say 'bastardbum', 'titwobble' or 'arsecheese' once.  which is a good
start.  belle and sebastian fans get a little bit sad, slightly
teary-eyed, misty and dewey (not like the decimal system) and rather
itchy-skinned when they hear swearing, its a documented fact*  and i
don't want your flakey scalp near me, frankly.

so, just niceness, then..

i am wondering whether to try and say something relevant that you'll
all like, or whether just to say what i wanted to say.

perhaps the latter.

yes, definitely the latter:

there will be a PICNIC in london this weekend.  on saturday.  at 2
p.m.  in the lovely GREEN PARK.  i am currently trying to look at a
map of GREEN PARK to find somewhere nice to meet.  it is taking a
bloody long time to load, and i am wondering if i made a mistake
picking this venue.  i thought there were LOADS of maps on the
interweb, but apparently not.  type in 'map, green park', and you get
THIS sort of nonsense:

http://www.green-park.co.uk/map.html

personally, i've never seen a flying robot there, so i suspect
trickery is afoot.  but then, i've only been a couple of times.  and
i'm not a REAL londonista.  perhaps you need to be from london to
understand about flying robots.  perhaps its one of those things that
people understand more the further south you get.  like driving
range-rovers and not picking your nose.

anyway, looking at the REAL map,
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=529250&y=180250&z=1&sv=529250,180250&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=794, i
notice that there are lots of nice things in the park.  some of these
being spencer ho (presumably, this is spencer from eastenders.  i
didn't know he was a ho.  i wonder how much he costs?),
queen victoria, wellington arch, and JAPAN.  i'm tempted to suggest we
meet in JAPAN, but then that might cause confusion, what with me not
knowing any japanese and such.  so how about we gather near the tube
station, and those that want to can go off and look for spencer ho
later?

if you're coming, and scared of my crappy organisation, or want to
come late, or don't know anyone and are worried about not finding us,
mail me off-list and i'll send you my mobile number.

stefano has suggested we have an EVENT at the picnic.  he was
muttering about football.  football isn't one of my Marvellous Things,
but by all means play it if you wish.  thoughts i had included:

a DISCO!  we all wear flares and tank-tops (not much change there
then) and errr... no that's a crap idea.
a ROLLER DISCO!  we all wear roller skates, fall over and break our
necks.
a ROLLER DISCO ON ICE!  if we can find some
a ROLLER DISCO ON ICE WITH CAMELS!  camels love roller-discos.
throwing STONES AT FLYING ROBOTS!
an imaginary birthday party for the 17th April Child Of Sinister.
errr...just eating cakes.  maybe i'll bring a frisbee.  and have you
got a little tape player, anyone??

i'm going with the birthday party.  bring a balloon, and one of those
hooter-y whistle things.  and a pass the parcel.  and...bring that
tape player if you have one..

god, this is probably the longest e-mail on such a subject ever.

some people would just say 'we're having a picnic.  turn up.  or else'
why does everything have to be an essay ian
as the buddha once said: 'why do you have to go and make everything so
complicated?'

he was a wise man.  didn't fuck about.

after the PICNIC, there will be TIGERMILKING at the BETSY TROTWOOD
near FARRINGDON TUBE.  its pretty easy to find, but mail me or stefano
for instructions if you haven't been there before.  there will be nice
tunes by the likes of...oooh...i dunno...
belle and sebastian, maybe; camera obscura; aislers set; shonen KNIFE;
sleater-kinney; slipknot;
you know how it goes.

the more the world is changing, the more it stays the same.  krishna
said that, yknow.  in his latest reincarnation.  as cilla black.

so, come to both.  have very much loveliness.

onto the bit where some acknowledgement that other people post on this
list is appropriate...

it was lovely to see the return of the Fragrant Princess Honey to
these parts... very sad to hear of poorly pets.  is there anything you
can do for an enlarged heart?

stefano reported back on brighton:

*I've lost oh so many things in my life, glasses, shoes, umbrellas,
books, records, jumpers, coats, I've lost *my love and I've lost my
pride, but, never before has happen I've lost my booze!!! I suppose
that only the *combination of Mr. Ascombe and me could have result in
such a conspicuous disa

and i appear to have lost my second 'n'.  never mid.  i was't really
attached to it.
and it started me thinking of a thread-type thing..  what's the
strangest thing you've ever lost?  and what's the oddest lost thing
you've ever found?  answers (not one-liners, that'll get me in
trouble...) on the back of an e-mail to....

nice reporting-back, though, stefano..

speaking of which, is someone going to report back from atp??

the rest of you said nice things too.  some of you said very brief
things.  i hear shortness is the new longness, but we want to know
MORE about you than just your club-night, and your e-mail group.  we
want to know the colour of your inner-child (mine is greenish pink,
today); the things that make you smile (sunshine, cats, HARD SEX...)
(not together) the song you sing when your mind goes dancing into the
ether of wibbly-wobbliness and floats into something you weren't even
sure ever existed (actually, a song might not be appropriate at such a
point.  change the question to something else).
see?  i have cleverly plugged a picnic and a club-night and you
wouldn't even know i'd done it.
because you stopped reading half an hour ago.

actually, maybe there's something to be said for brevity.

oh... BASTARDBUM, TITWOBBLE AND ARSECHEESE!!

sayonara, my twinkles,

xx
ian

* from 'ian's book of BELLE AND SEBASTIAN FACTS'.  more of which
later, no doubt.